• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Installing FRF85B on Rooted Nexus One

dfxdeimos

Lurker
Jun 29, 2010
I have been looking around at a lot of different sites today, trying to gather information about installing the official Froyo build that was released today - but am having difficulty parsing through it all because of my specific phone setup.

I have an unlocked Nexus One with the RA Recovery Image and Cyanogenmod 5.0.8-N1 installed.

It seems that all the instructions that I have seen (and the files making the rounds out there) seem to be intended for stock phones.

Can anyone point me to a set of instructions with the unlocked phone with a custom recovery image in mind, or am I completely missing something obvious?

Thanks!

Funny, I'm on frf83 currently, (att rooted) and I'm contemplating just loading cyanogen.

Kindof the opposite situation.

So I'll be watching this thread. :p

Assuming that you have already updated your recovery image to RA, it's simply a matter of downloading the cyanogen zip file to your sdcard, booting into recovery, wipe, and then install the cyanogen zip file.

There are guides already located in the all things root section, as well as at http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com. It really doesn't matter which version of android you are coming from, as you already have the froyo version of the radio.

Upvote 0
I have been looking around at a lot of different sites today, trying to gather information about installing the official Froyo build that was released today - but am having difficulty parsing through it all because of my specific phone setup.

I have an unlocked Nexus One with the RA Recovery Image and Cyanogenmod 5.0.8-N1 installed.

It seems that all the instructions that I have seen (and the files making the rounds out there) seem to be intended for stock phones.

Can anyone point me to a set of instructions with the unlocked phone with a custom recovery image in mind, or am I completely missing something obvious?

Thanks!

Search the Nexus One root subforum for the custom recovery image, there should be some threads on that.

This thread also talks about updating if you're rooted: http://androidforums.com/nexus-one/...nexus-one-android-2-2-frf85b-6-29-2010-a.html

Upvote 0
You said your phone was a 2.1, and rooted. Did you have the stock recovery, or had you loaded something like RA?

Your phone is an ATT, I assume?

I had the stock recovery....so I initially downloaded the 2.2 update. That failed to load because I was rooted. I then downloaded EPE54B and flashed that to get me back to a non-rooted 2.1. I then installed the 2.2 update, but could not root it.....

I then went back to the 2.1 non rooted. I then rooted 2.1, installed the ra recovery and flashed the above ROM with the Froyo radio....worked like a charm.

And yes it is the AT&T version.

Upvote 0
What does "with the Froyo radio" mean?

Did you use another file to load this, or did you just load this? I have RA recovery, and currently have FRF83 installed. (the tmobile one, but my phone's an ATT.....I wish I would have waited before loading to FRF83) So uh, could you be a little more clear?

It's downloaded on my phone now, and I'm thinking about just popping into the bootloader and seeing what happens if I update with it.

Thanks.

:p

I had the stock recovery....so I initially downloaded the 2.2 update. That failed to load because I was rooted. I then downloaded EPE54B and flashed that to get me back to a non-rooted 2.1. I then installed the 2.2 update, but could not root it.....

I then went back to the 2.1 non rooted. I then rooted 2.1, installed the ra recovery and flashed the above ROM with the Froyo radio....worked like a charm.

And yes it is the AT&T version.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I think I'm just more confused than ever.

I'm going to look for someone else in my exact same situation and consult with them.

Or maybe I'll check into options for getting back to stock recovery and just go back to epe45b or whatever the default ATT version was, and then flash frf85b so IN THEORY, my 3g speeds won't be gimped.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones