• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Installing Google Now, works kinda??

It looks pretty. Idk.

It's like if you took Siri and stripped away its smartassery, that's Google Now.

Siri and Google Now is apples and oranges. They both have different purposes. Siri is more of an assistant and Google Now is more of an advanced planner that acts on it's own based on your schedule and preferences.

My Google Now is pretty much fully functional.

Upvote 0
all i did was install the apk

The link has a lot going on honestly, 5 different options, etc,etc..

yeah, use this post

xda-developers - View Single Post - [MOD] [4.0+] [UPDATE 08/08] The Google Now for ICS Project [APK AND ZIP] [ARMv6&v7]

same thread though.

theres a mikey 6 and a mikey 7. i recently flashed 7, but 6 was working for a long time perfectly. havent tried 7 enough to know for sure.

the online/offline one is probably the one you want. also, if you have problems flashing it, go to system/apps and rename or delete googlequicksearchbox.apk before flashing.

Reactions: JDML
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
the google now is a siri type search app. it works perfectly, and works better than siri.

They are not the same at all. Some features are the same yes. Google now is nothing like Siri imho.

This....

Siri and Google Now is apples and oranges. They both have different purposes. Siri is more of an assistant and Google Now is more of an advanced planner that acts on it's own based on your schedule and preferences.

My Google Now is pretty much fully functional.

Agreed! A Siri type app is Iris. What I linked above. Which to me Iris is better.

Upvote 0
yo do realize all your siri commands can be used in google now right?

they are the same thing. and i dont care what your honest opinion is lol, i have used both on a very regular basis, and sell both products daily.

try "text name message" or really anything else youd do with siri. its the same thing. the google now voice commands are siri, it has extra features siri doesnt.

Upvote 0
yo do realize all your siri commands can be used in google now right?

they are the same thing. and i dont care what your honest opinion is lol, i have used both on a very regular basis, and sell both products daily.

try "text name message" or really anything else youd do with siri. its the same thing. the google now voice commands are siri, it has extra features siri doesnt.

Well then, no need to be rude, and saying "lol" doesn't make it ok to be rude. You have YOUR, opinion, and others have there's. To ME, they are not the same, even if the voice commands are the same. What you sell is irrelevant. They are not the same, bottom line! That's Like looking at twins and saying "they are the same". They may look the same, but I can assure you, they are not. I can contest to that cause I am a twin. ;)

This...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiMU7l_kHI

Upvote 0
Well then, no need to be rude, and saying "lol" doesn't make it ok to be rude. You have YOUR, opinion, and others have there's. To ME, they are not the same, even if the voice commands are the same. What you sell is irrelevant. They are not the same, bottom line! That's Like looking at twins and saying "they are the same". They may look the same, but I can assure you, they are not. I can contest to that cause I am a twin. ;)

This...

Google Now vs Siri Comparison - YouTube

okay.. so what is the difference?

the guy is not competent enough to use googles voice search. at about 3 minutes he asks an oddly worded, unnatural question. just ask google now "how far away is the sun?" it brings up a card and talks to you.

he quotes monty python and says its personality, but yet you can ask play now what is the meaning of life, the universe and everything, and it says 42. personality? if you say "do a barrel roll" it spins, personality? it isnt.

the next thing he does is try and launch an app. if you go into settings, you can enable different phone search options in play now, apps is one of them. all you do is simply say the app you want, and just click your phone at the bottom instead of using web search. how hard is that? lol. and it isnt limited to apps. it can search anything in your phone you tell it to.

next he says "send message", when the google command is "text".

all he had to say is "text name message" and it would automatically do everything. or just say "text name" and itll give you the option to type the message.

likewise for email, if you say "Send email to name (message)" or leave off the message and type it, it will email. IS THIS HARD?

he then says wake me up in a couple of hours. that isnt very specific. if you said "wake me up in 2 hours" the play now will make you an alarm for 2 hours. so your difference is that you have to say an actual amount of time, rather than allow your device to guess what you mean? what if you said a few and it picked 4 hours, which is still technically a few? i dont need my phone to do relative amounts lol. i know when i need my alarm to go off.

play now
How to impress your friends: 40+ voice searches on Jelly Bean - YouTube
siri
40+ Voice Searches with Siri (iOS 6) - YouTube

some basic voice commands http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1817640 . i assumed most of those were obvious, but apparently not.

Reactions: Mobstergunz
Upvote 0

the guy is not competent enough to use googles voice search. at about 3 minutes he asks an oddly worded, unnatural question. just ask google now "how far away is the sun?" it brings up a card and talks to you.

he quotes monty python and says its personality, but yet you can ask play now what is the meaning of life, the universe and everything, and it says 42. personality? if you say "do a barrel roll" it spins, personality? it isnt.

the next thing he does is try and launch an app. if you go into settings, you can enable different phone search options in play now, apps is one of them. all you do is simply say the app you want, and just click your phone at the bottom instead of using web search. how hard is that? lol. and it isnt limited to apps. it can search anything in your phone you tell it to.

all he had to say is "text name message" and it would automatically do everything. or just say "text name" and itll give you the option to type the message.

likewise for email, if you say "Send email to name (message)" or leave off the message and type it, it will email. IS THIS HARD?

he then says wake me up in a couple of hours. that isnt very specific. if you said "wake me up in 2 hours" the play now will make you an alarm for 2 hours. so your difference is that you have to say an actual amount of time, rather than allow your device to guess what you mean? what if you said a few and it picked 4 hours, which is still technically a few? i dont need my phone to do relative amounts lol. i know when i need my alarm to go off.

play now
siri

some basic voice commands [8/09] Commands & Now Cards For Google Now!!! Video, FAQ, and Custom Widget. - xda-developers . i assumed most of those were obvious, but apparently not.

lmao i was pushing my search button at the same time as him for evey question in this video: 40+ Voice Searches with Siri (iOS 6) - YouTube and Google Now Search beat Siri every time :D it even got gave answers Siri couldn't and another blow is my Evo V understood him better then his Iphone 4S hahahaha

Upvote 0

play now
siri

some basic voice commands [8/09] Commands & Now Cards For Google Now!!! Video, FAQ, and Custom Widget. - xda-developers . i assumed most of those were obvious, but apparently not.

:boxing:

Well, for starters they look different. They are made by 2 different company's. They have different names. They have different features. They have different search options. They have different voice commands. They have different ways of speaking. They search differently. The cards are set up different. Google Now seems to have more options and is slightly faster. I could go on but, I will just agree, to disagree, and respect your opinion and leave it at that. If they where so much the same then Google would have another law suit on their hands, which I'm sure Apple will try, given the past of the company, if they aren't already in the process. :goodnight:

Upvote 0
lmao i was pushing my search button at the same time as him for evey question in this video: 40+ Voice Searches with Siri (iOS 6) - YouTube and Google Now Search beat Siri every time :D it even got gave answers Siri couldn't and another blow is my Evo V understood him better then his Iphone 4S hahahaha

i notice a lot of people always press the button. a lot of people dont know that when you pull up play now, you can just say "google" and itll bring up the voice command.

:boxing:

Well, for starters they look different. They are made by 2 different company's. They have different names. They have different features. They have different search options. They have different voice commands. They have different ways of speaking. They search differently. The cards are set up different. Google Now seems to have more options and is slightly faster. I could go on but, I will just agree, to disagree, and respect your opinion and leave it at that. If they where so much the same then Google would have another law suit on their hands, which I'm sure Apple will try, given the past of the company, if they aren't already in the process. :goodnight:

siri wasnt the first voice command app by a long shot. you said initially that they were somehow very different apps. yet, now they just look different? most of the commands are the same, some are like 1 word different, and each have maybe a handful of commands the other doesnt.

guess we agree that they are basically the same app.

Upvote 0
i notice a lot of people always press the button. a lot of people dont know that when you pull up play now, you can just say "google" and itll bring up the voice command.

siri wasnt the first voice command app by a long shot. you said initially that they were somehow very different apps. yet, now they just look different? most of the commands are the same, some are like 1 word different, and each have maybe a handful of commands the other doesnt.

guess we agree that they are basically the same app.

Never said anything about which came first. They don't just look different...Yeah, they are the same just like 2 snowflakes are the same lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones