• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Installing older versions of apps

There will always be an element of risk in using apps that are not from official sources. Pay close attention to the permissions they require.

You don't need a rooted phone. To install these apk files from any source other than the play store you will need to allow third party apps via settings>security>allow apps from unknown sources.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I would not recommend installing apps from anywhere other than the Play Store, from a well known and respected app developer's web site, or from a developer thread on XDA or a developer thread here on Android Forums. Of course the most important bit to remember is reading the comments and knowing what the permissions mean. You don't know what else has been packaged with an app if you get it from an unsafe source.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
One good idea is if you like the version of an app you're currently running, use an app like Super Backup (free on Play) to create an apk file of that app. Save the apk file on your computer. Then, when the author changes your favorite feature into something you can't stand, you have an apk to install into your next phone that works the way you liked it. (I back up every app I install, so if, 3 years later, I can't stand the current version, I can always install the version I liked.)

BTW, to install an apk file, just run it. Find it with any file manager and click it. Instead of asking you what app you want to use on it, the file will just run and install the app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones