1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Installing older versions of apps

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by tenchy, Dec 11, 2013.

1. tenchy

tenchy Well-Known Member

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. nicka3200

nicka3200 Android Expert

There will always be an element of risk in using apps that are not from official sources. Pay close attention to the permissions they require.

You don't need a rooted phone. To install these apk files from any source other than the play store you will need to allow third party apps via settings>security>allow apps from unknown sources.

ocnbrze likes this.
  3. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

I would not recommend installing apps from anywhere other than the Play Store, from a well known and respected app developer's web site, or from a developer thread on XDA or a developer thread here on Android Forums. Of course the most important bit to remember is reading the comments and knowing what the permissions mean. You don't know what else has been packaged with an app if you get it from an unsafe source.

ocnbrze likes this.
  4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

5. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

One good idea is if you like the version of an app you're currently running, use an app like Super Backup (free on Play) to create an apk file of that app. Save the apk file on your computer. Then, when the author changes your favorite feature into something you can't stand, you have an apk to install into your next phone that works the way you liked it. (I back up every app I install, so if, 3 years later, I can't stand the current version, I can always install the version I liked.)

BTW, to install an apk file, just run it. Find it with any file manager and click it. Instead of asking you what app you want to use on it, the file will just run and install the app.