• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Installing previous version apps

So I want an app in a previous version (because the newer version ruins it)...I try and install the .apk, and whenever I try, it says it wasn't installed. No error message or anything...I would uninstall the current and reinstall the previous version, but then I would lose all of my data.
Any help is appreciated
Thanks

So I want an app in a previous version (because the newer version ruins it)...I try and install the .apk, and whenever I try, it says it wasn't installed. No error message or anything...I would uninstall the current and reinstall the previous version, but then I would lose all of my data.
Any help is appreciated
Thanks

There is no cut and dry way to do this one. A couple of questions:
1. are you rooted,
2. is this a system app or a user app (downloaded from market)

If you are rooted, I would get titanium backup, and back up the data associated with that app. Then, you can uninstall the new version and reinstall the older version (my choice of method would be a cut and paste via root explorer, or some other file explorer). After that, restore the data with titanium backup

If you are stock, I would double check to make sure unknown sources is checked in system/applications. If it is not, it could prevent an overwrite. The other thing I've run into is, if the application you are trying to install has a slightly different name, it may not install. Especially if this is a system app.
If it is a system app, and you are stock, you may not be able to roll it back... You probably could using adb, but that's a whole other learning process.
Let me know the answers to my questions, and (if you are comfortable) what the app is, and I'll see if I can be of more help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones