1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Installing Rom on EVO 4G

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by jshawjr, Jun 7, 2011.

1. jshawjr

jshawjr Lurker
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    I am having a problem downloading a ROM on my EVO 4G. I saved the rom to my desktop (sdcard) directory on my computer, but don't know how to flash it to my phone...

Is it necessary to use my desktop computer when flashing rom? Or, can it just be done with my phone?

Advertisement

2. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert
    None

May 22, 2010
    Shenandoah Jct WV
    Hi there, welcome to the Android forums. I'm not familiar with flashing ROM's on the EVO, but I can direct you to a forum that would be able to help you.

EVO 4G - All Things Root - Android Forums

Visit that forum, which is the "all things root" (all things root covers all rooting, flashing ROM's, etc) subforum for the HTC EVO 4G, and those guys will be able to help you out.

jshawjr likes this.
  3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to the Android Forums.

Which ROM are you attempting to flash to your EVO? There are different methods but generally it involves booting the phone into recovery with an app like ClockWorkMod.

4. jshawjr

jshawjr Lurker
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    I am trying to flash Gingerbread and Mikfroyo. I already have Clockworkmod installed on my phone. I don't know how to save the rom to my sdcard and then flash from there.

5. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert
    None

May 22, 2010
    Shenandoah Jct WV
    - This post is assuming the EVO 4G is similar to the Epic 4G with connecting to your computer (I have an Epic 4G) -

This is how I do it on my Epic 4G, there might be differences between the 2 phones.

Make sure you have the drivers for your device installed on your computer. Once thats done, go to "settings > applications > development > enable usb debugging". Once thats done, plug your phone into the USB port on your computer. Once thats done, go to your phone and drag down the notification bar, you should see "USB connected, select to copy files to/from your computer" press that. Then press "connect USB storage". You should get a pop up on your computer, click "open folder to view files". After you do that you should get a window that opens up that is your "Removable disk (E: )", that is where you want to put files on your sd card. I usually click and drag the zip files from my desktop (thats where I put them after downloading) to my "Removable disk (E: )". Then I close that, go back to my phone and turn off usb storage, then unplug my phone from the computer.

Then I power off the phone, boot into clockwork, and follow the install instructions as advised for the ROM.

I would double check this in the EVO 4G forum though, to make sure the devices connect to the computer similarly.

6. jshawjr

jshawjr Lurker
    None

Jun 4, 2011
    Thanks! I will try that...