1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Installing ROM on locked phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by scottegos2, Apr 23, 2012.

1. scottegos2

scottegos2 Newbie

I know this has probably been beaten to death, but I really can't figure it out! I'm a photon noob (decided not to wait for LTE) and I really want to flash the locked version of the Rocko (or maybe other?) ROM, but all I see are videos on how to install a ROM on an unlocked system. I *need* 4g to work! <g> Can someone point me to a page that describes this?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. scottegos2

scottegos2 Newbie

Well, I guess I had to post in order to find it myself. FWIW, the relevant video from QBKing77, called "How to install Bootstrap Recovery on the Motorola Photon 4G" is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktyrF0M91eY

It has a link for how to root, then how to install the Bootstrap Recovery. Once you do that, you download a *locked* ROM (e.g. Rocko ), which comes as a zip file. After copying the zip file to the phone storage, the Bootstrap Recovery "recovery mode" is what does the flashing. Fairly straightforward (now that others have done the heavy lifting).

Lokifish likes this.
  3. drexappeal

drexappeal Extreme Android User

FYI - There's a rooting sub-forum for the Photon, if you hadn't checked it out yet. Link to the sub-forum is at the top of the Photon forum.

scottegos2 likes this.
  4. scottegos2

scottegos2 Newbie

Thank you. I'm sure I'll get my act together.

5. Lokifish

Lokifish Well-Known Member

I was working on getting this in the All Things MoPho guide but you beat me to it. So much stuff to do and so little time. Thanks for posting this.

KOLIO likes this.

Motorola Photon 4G Forum

The Motorola Photon 4G release date was August 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1700mAh battery.

August 2011
Release Date
Reviews