• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Installing/Uninstalling Apps = Bad???

Needz_Android

Android Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2010
Noob question here, but i figure some people probably have the same question on their mind so I'm going to go ahead and ask for everyone.

I am wondering if the DI is like a computer in the sense that over time the installation/uninstallation of apps will fragment the ROM that they are stored on and ultimately slow down/make the phone more lethargic?

Also, for those that are tech savvy, how much of the ROM do you have to use up for their to be a noticable difference in speed of the phone? (how many apps to slow it down)

What is everyone going to do to keep their DI running in top shape?

Well with it having 760MB for apps I don't see it ever being filled up since most market apps are small in size and the bigger chunks are stored on the SD. As far as slowing down the system over time I have yet to see it happen with my Droid or previous Android phones. Remember Android is Linux based so it doesn't really have the same problems as Windows does. You could always do a factory reset though.

Upvote 0
Noob question here, but i figure some people probably have the same question on their mind so I'm going to go ahead and ask for everyone.

I am wondering if the DI is like a computer in the sense that over time the installation/uninstallation of apps will fragment the ROM that they are stored on and ultimately slow down/make the phone more lethargic?

Also, for those that are tech savvy, how much of the ROM do you have to use up for their to be a noticable difference in speed of the phone? (how many apps to slow it down)

What is everyone going to do to keep their DI running in top shape?
I doubt that fragmentation would noticably slow down the Incredible.
The biggest issue I can think of for reasonably well behaved applications is that many tend to throw stuff onto the SD card. After a while you end up with many directories. You can't tell which are being used and which are left over junk from applications removed.
But on the main drive (ROM), Android doesn't typically allow apps to write other than in their own directory. And that directory is removed when you uninstall.
It "should" be pretty clean on the main phone to install/uninstall a bunch of apps. Android "should" be able to protect it and keep it clean.

Upvote 0
Look up the linux files system ext2.

ext2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That being said, as the Linux System Administrator Guide states, "Modern Linux filesystem(s) keep fragmentation at a minimum by keeping all blocks in a file close together, even if they can't be stored in consecutive sectors. Some filesystems, like ext3, effectively allocate the free block that is nearest to other blocks in a file. Therefore it is not necessary to worry about fragmentation in a Linux system."

Please don't think of the android platform the same way you do your desktop pc. They are completely different animals. Android uses linux and is a much smaller footprint and takes far fewer resources to run. With in windows you need to worry about memory mangement, security and defragging, with linux you don't.

Upvote 0
Look up the linux files system ext2.

ext2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That being said, as the Linux System Administrator Guide states, "Modern Linux filesystem(s) keep fragmentation at a minimum by keeping all blocks in a file close together, even if they can't be stored in consecutive sectors. Some filesystems, like ext3, effectively allocate the free block that is nearest to other blocks in a file. Therefore it is not necessary to worry about fragmentation in a Linux system."

Please don't think of the android platform the same way you do your desktop pc. They are completely different animals. Android uses linux and is a much smaller footprint and takes far fewer resources to run. With in windows you need to worry about memory mangement, security and defragging, with linux you don't.

lets not forget about the registry and the junk applications leave behind there in windows land. luckily android/linux doesn't need to worry about that stuff

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones