1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps Instant chat openfire+smack clarification

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by Alex Daniel, May 17, 2016.

1. Alex Daniel

Alex Daniel Lurker
    None

May 17, 2016
    I'm going to add chat functionality to my app. After long searches I came to the conclusion that the best solution would be ejabberd/openfire + smack 4.1 for android, but I have some things that I can't wrap my ahead around. I don't know if I'm supposed to post a question like this here. Just comment if not and I'll delete it, but I don't know of any other place that I can ask.

Now I have a facebook login and some fields that post data to a server and that data is uploaded into mysql tables. I found multiple tutorials on how to make the openfire connection, but once I achieve that am I supposed to forget about my old implementation ? Is openfire just for instant messaging, or does it behave like a server in which I can add tables, query them, add data and etc. ?If so how? I mean in my current configuration I have php which handles all of that, but I couldn't find anything in openfire that would let me do such a thing.

When I configured openfire I saw that a lot of tables are created(ofuser, etc.), and I don't know what any of those are for, but I assume that I'm not supposed to mess with them.

Am I going to implement the auto-registration within the facebook login(user= fb id and password = token)?

Am I going to use openfire just to handle sending the messages, but store them on my current server in a table? It sounds that the phone would have to deal with too much- send the message to my server(to store it) and then to the openfire server?

I would also like to make an website for this app. Should I make it in such a way that when the message is submitted into the php form(to store it) somehow it's going to send it to the openfire to handle the downstream?

How should I implement this?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Advertisement