1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Instant Search on Dial Up

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by douglasrac, Dec 10, 2013.

1. douglasrac

douglasrac Newbie

I used to have a Droid X2 and when typing a phone number it would directly search on my contacts and offer suggestions. Most of the times I only needed to type 4 numbers and could automatically complete the rest by tapping the suggestions.

Now on Moto X there is no such thing. Is there an option to enable?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. edcooper714

edcooper714 Well-Known Member

The stock dialer will allow you to start entering either a name or number and will incrementally locate all that match and display the contacts.
    I just tested it and it works fine.
    Click PHONE then start entering at the top of the screen.

3. douglasrac

douglasrac Newbie

It doesnt. I cannot type any letters. Are you talking about the phone app, blue icon? Next to message icon?

4. douglasrac

douglasrac Newbie

Oh I see. In the search button. No that is not what I had in the Milestone. I mean the MAIN DIAL PAD.

Also this search is horrible. If I have city code + phone number, and I start to type phone number without city code it wont find anything. It doesnt search between numbers. Something that Droid X2 did on the man dial pad.

5. edcooper714

edcooper714 Well-Known Member

The dialer pad works as you start to enter the number starting with the area code.
    You can also enter digits that are located in the area code or next 4 digits of the phone number.
    i.e. if the phone number you are trying to find is (345) 567-9876 you can enter:
    345 or 567 (but not 9876) and it WILL locate all contact that have the combination of numbers you have entered. As you enter the last 4 digits it will continue to incrementally locate the contact
    I just tested and confirmed this does work the way you want it to.
    Hope this helps explain it.

6. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

There is a free replacement dialer in the Play Store called DialerOne that can do what you describe. Perhaps you will want to try switching to that?

7. douglasrac

douglasrac Newbie

Its called Auto Complete, only available on 4.3 and above. I will wait for the kit kat update and hope it will work as expected.
    Its a surprise to me that Cyanogen mod have that and official android only implemented that on 4.3.

@edcooper714 Thank you for the help, but once you see the one I'm talking about working you will see that the current feature is not good enough.

Motorola Moto X (1st Gen) Forum

The Motorola Moto X (1st Gen) release date was August 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 10MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 2200mAh battery.

August 2013
Release Date
Reviews