• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Instantly improve performance in 2.1 OTA

mlntn

Mar 31, 2010
PHX
I have a couple friends with the Eris that went from loving their phones to hating them shortly after receiving the 2.1 OTA upgrade. They were quite happy with 1.5, but were looking forward to 2.1 - because I bragged about the improvements in the leaks.

I was playing around with their phones last night and they were having serious lag when scrolling, receiving calls and switching from portrait to landscape mode. I turned off window animations completely and those issues went away immediately. The phones are now pretty speedy.

If you're looking for that setting, it's under: Settings > Sound & display > Animation > No animations.

Reactions: wyzird
This has been discussed before... but it's a good reminder.

So what exactly to those darn window animation give you?

I turned it off almost immediately after gettign my eris because I read here that I should. But i remember turning it back on for a day and didn't notice anything.

I know this has been talked about here, but I don't remember ever seeing it mentioned as having such a drastic performance improvement.

I noticed it on dialog boxes. With window animations, the dialog boxes zoom in and out - without animations, the dialog boxes just appear. It may have other effects too...

Upvote 0
my wife has been complaining about the sluggishness since the 2.1 OTA in the dialer and a couple of other things. i have uninstall apps and several other things and she says it is still slow as compared to before the update. i will give this a try tonight and see if it doesn't get back to the "snappy" way things were before the update.

Upvote 0
my wife has been complaining about the sluggishness since the 2.1 OTA in the dialer and a couple of other things. i have uninstall apps and several other things and she says it is still slow as compared to before the update. i will give this a try tonight and see if it doesn't get back to the "snappy" way things were before the update.

Not sure if y'all had performed a factory reset after the 2.1 OTA. Thoughts are that it really improves the overall performance, plus it seems to be generating a lot of positive feedback from forum members. It's important to note that a factory reset will wipe the phone. Hope this helps.

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/80233-factory-data-reset-option.html

Reactions: zeroleonheart
Upvote 0
Not sure if y'all had performed a factory reset after the 2.1 OTA. Thoughts are that it really improves the overall performance, plus it seems to be generating a lot of positive feedback from forum members. It's important to note that a factory reset will wipe the phone. Hope this helps.

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/80233-factory-data-reset-option.html

Yeah, after reading all of the posts on this forum, and then actually doing the hard reset, I couldn't agree more with the aforementioned tip. Even though its a pain in the butt to reload apps, its totally worth it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones