1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Insufficient Internal Storage

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by WyntaJC, Sep 16, 2017.

1. WyntaJC

WyntaJC Lurker
    None

Sep 16, 2017
    On my phone, I have a 16GB internal storage, and an external SD card that's 32GB. The problem is that on Google Play, I can't download any apps because I don't have enough space, even though I moved most of my downloaded apps onto my SD card. Before I moved my apps to the SD card, it said that I've used about 14GB out of the 16 in the settings. After I moved my apps, it said the same thing as if I haven't moved them at all. What could be the problem? And thanks for any help.

Advertisement

2. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2015
    Male
    Be interested in knowing this, myself.
    Got an "Insufficient Storage" message last week when updating Google.

Cleared cache to complete the update, but went through and deleted a few seldom used apps.

3. WyntaJC

WyntaJC Lurker
    None

Sep 16, 2017
    I
    I guess I'll have to do the same even though all of my apps serves a purpose

4. Aniruddha060

Aniruddha060 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 12, 2017
    Male
    I routinely clear the sent images and sent videos folders(WhatsApp) on my phone to avoid this problem also I delete all backups other than the latest one. When you moved the apps to your external it probably stores only future files in the external storage and the previous ones would still exist in the internal storage. The only way to solve this would be to move the files manually.

5. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2015
    Male
    Like Aniruddha060 said, keep your old text messages and emails clean can save space. Also, use the browser to access any apps that have a browser version.

Daniel Fernandes likes this.
  6. Xavier Black

Xavier Black Android Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2015
    Male
    Undo the updates for Google play store and services..those are pretty heavy..that right there will give you something to work with..of course if you are rooted you can remove about 60 junk apps and that would put you in a whole new level of disk space..

Let me know.

7. Daniel Fernandes

Daniel Fernandes Android Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2016
    Male
    Student
    Goa, India
    He may then get an "Update Google Play Services" error on some apps...

Try SD maid because there are things other than apps that can take your space (caches/thumbnails/duplicate files/other junk)...

Or follow these steps to eliminate such files:
    - Settings >> Apps >> Reset App Preferences (For apps cache)
    - File explorer >> sdcard/DCIM/.thumbnails delete this folder, it's gallery cache
    If you download apps from places other than Play Store (SHAREit, APK Mirror etc.):
    - File Explorer >> Search, type ".apk" (Without quotes) and delete all file that end with the .apk extention

Also, Goto Settings>> Storage and confirm if it is really the apps that are taking SD card space.

Also note that some phones (actually I saw that on a tablet) will allow only a limited space for installing apps (that may be like, 1 GB of the 16 GB) and treat the rest of the space as another SD card. So there are 2 SD cards...

peterweyman likes this.
  8. Xavier Black

Xavier Black Android Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2015
    Male
    I undid all those "updates" on my S5 inside the 5.0 stock firmware..and all my apps(about 95..all are users or 3th party apps..like he says, all and every one of them serves a purpose..I feel him on that) work just fine, even when I want to "update" occasionally some of those..none give fuzz..it should work also for you all..

#8 Xavier Black, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.