• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

insufficient memory

smitty543

Android Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2011
Went to download updates apps on wife's EVO Shift 4G and got message that insufficient memory. She has few apps installed and I an only updating those present. I thought app updates overwrite older versions; how can I free memory to be able to update her apps?

Thanks for your assistance!

Is her phone rooted? Consider rooting it and flashing a custom ROM. The Shift has major memory issues.

If not interested in rooting, you can use an app like app2sd to move (some of)the apps to the SD card. Also, delete unnecessary apps, Clear out Facebook and Email apps as they tend to build up data and eat up the memory. (clear data and cache in both apps)

Reactions: smitty543
Upvote 0
How do you clear cache from the EVO Shift? Also how to clear data?

Menu>Settings>Applications>All>(Choose your app)

Press "Clear Cache"
Wait.

Press "Clear Data"

Clearing data will remove all emails or facebook. You will need to log back in and they will resync. You won't lose anything as it is like setting up all over again. clearing data removes alot "junk" and "Trash" that builds up.

Reactions: smitty543
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones