• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Insufficient Space" error when there is plenty of space

NinjaSmack

Lurker
Nov 22, 2014
I have a rooted phone along with a partitioned 16 gb sd card. I can install large apps (like fruit ninja), but on certain apps I get the stupid "Insufficient Space" error (Apps like chrome, soundhound, youtube). I have about 550 mb of internal storage free.

I had soundhound on my sd card before I partitioned it and had to uninstall it to partition the card. Now I am trying to reinstall it and no dice. I've also attempted to install it off of Google play on my computer. That didn't work either. I've poked around a bit in the forum, but haven't found anything that works yet. I did find this thread (http://androidforums.com/threads/ap...-24-insufficient-storage-space-solved.733135/) and was wondering if this works before I try this. If not, what else can I do?

Thanks

The link your provided has the right of it, I'm afraid. I've encountered this on my Optimus F3 more times than I can count.

You'll need the Root Explorer, and then once that's installed, you will need to go into the Internal Storage of the device. Find the folder labeled "sdcard" OR the one labeled "storage", then "sdcard0".

Next, look for the folder named "Android".

Now, you'll start hunting for the name of the application (it might be something like com.somename.sounhound, or soundhound.app. You're looking for a file or folder that is from the developer of soundhound. Hopefully, it's got soundhound in the name someplace!

Once you've found it, KILL IT WITH FIRE. Er, delete it.

Once you've backed out, go into Google Play and try re-installing the app. You should be good to go.

I had the same thing happen with GMail some time back. I dropped the phone and the battery popped out. That corrupted the GMail app - it didn't show up under apps, but I would get 'insufficient storage' while trying to install it. I went into root explorer, located the "gmail" folder, deleted it, and *poof*. All better.

This process takes some patience and some searching through a bunch of folders, sometimes, until you find what you're looking for.

Good luck!

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones