• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root "insufficient space on device"

dfunk44

Jun 29, 2011
OV, CM7 1-3-2012.

Keep getting this error, even though there is space on the phone and card. Some updates will go through while others will not. Some new apps will download while others will not.

Tried clearing the data and wiping cache, no luck.

Any easy fix for this?

What is happening is BACKside (and possibly all CM7 ROMs) move the dalvik cache into the cache partition. The market currently downloads some apps and updates to the cache partition before installing them. With a large enough dalvik, you are indeed out of space.

I know of two fixes.

First, if you have titanium backup pro you can integrate dalvik into ROM (you have to undo this before flashing a newer version) and reboot. (I've not tried this yet, Jerry explains it in the BACKside thread, I'll see if I can find the post).

Second, direct your file browser to /etc/init.d/ and move, delete or rename 01mvdalvik then wipe the data and cache for the market, reboot into recovery and wipe the cache and dalvik.

Here is the link to JerryScript's post about using Titanium Backup to take care of this problem.
http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...m-cm7-green-machine-theme-41.html#post3581435

Reactions: dfunk44
Upvote 0
I don't have Link2SD installed just yet. MacFett has mentioned previously that the apps linked with Link2SD will respond and behave better.
I have 120 Downloaded apps and still have 98MB of storage left, but there not quite as responsive and have a noticeable lagg opening up and sometimes performing functions.

It won't be long and I'll be having to install it.

Upvote 0
I was getting the 'insufficient space' error from the market consistently when downloading apps greater than 2-3 MB or so.

I found a thread on forum.cyanogenmod.com - post #6 by capeli provides the following terminal command:

# cd /cache
# mv download download.old
# mkdir -p /sdcard/cache/download
# ln -s /sdcard/cache/download download

The thread is for an HTC phone but so far it has cleared up the problem for me. It sets up a symbolic link that uses the sd card for caching downloads. Seems pretty simple and brilliant to me. All credit goes to capeli.

Upvote 0
And that's the beauty of unix based systems. The most powerful and elegant commands are incredibly simple!

Our Unix forefathers must marvel as we swipe type their ancient commands on little phone screens :)

Here's a cool article from IEEE Spectrum on forty years of Unix history...from PDPs to smart phones.

Reactions: brotherswing
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones