• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Insufficient Storage Available Error. Help me fix my screwup, please.

Hyriel

Lurker
Jan 8, 2015
The Problem: I'm receiving the "Insufficient Storage Error" when I try to install programs, and when they try to update. I have (supposedly, according to my storage settings option) 2.gb of internal space and 11gb of SC card space.
When it first started occurring and other relevant background: I tried installing Xposed installer on my phone using this guide here but when I got to the "just tap this link" part and tried installing the APK, it gave me a insufficient storage error.
Now up to this point, the only rooting anything I'd done to my Volt was to follow this guide here which never seemed to have worked quite right, but I've left it as "adb shell pm set-install-location 2" and never had any further issues, and it has been letting me move more things to the SD card then I could before, so I didn't think anything more of it.
I don't remember the thought process that brought me to the conclusion that I needed to properly root my device but I ended up trying to install towel root using this guide here. When I tried getting the APK on my phone, the link started a massive cascade of opening tabs on google chrome. So I downloaded it using my computer, moved it over to downloads and tried installing it. Same error.

Before I tried Installing Xposed Installer, I copypasted all the files that would let me from my phone to my computer as a back up. Since I've received the error with Xposed Installer, I can't install or update any other apps. I don't know what I might have deleted or changed or what Xposed did or what the towelroot app might have done. Are there viruses for the android?

Solutions that haven't worked: Clearing the Cache, downloading App Cache Cleaner and using it (which annoys me, why can it download but not my Reddit Now update,) the lucky patcher troubleshooting menu from this **mod removed** doesn't seem to exist so it was no help.

I'm resigned to factory reset at this point, and I'm really not happy about it, but thems the breaks... Anyone have any ideas to help me avoid that?

EDIT: I unmounted my SC Card and had the same issue, so it's unlikely that the error is because of the "adb shell pm set-install-location 2" thing

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a chance that the backup app will grab whatever bit of data is causing the issue and back it up as well?
It will only backup the selected apps and their associated files. If I had to guess, when you copied stuff off and back on to your phone you ended up with extra hidden data that belonged to apps that are no longer there.

You could also try cleaning the phone first. I would recommend SD Maid.

Upvote 0
I'll try the Titanium thing and the SD maid if they'll install and get back to you both. As for your root guide, I'm a total noob, and while your guide looks very comprehensive, it did not make any sense to me. I think I'm going to give up on rooting until I upgrade to a Galaxy or some other more powerful, more easily rooted phone. Hell if I get a bigger phone, I won't even bother messing with rooting >_< Thank you very much though.

Upvote 0
Ok, so I just randomly tried installing Temple Run and it worked. What would be letting some programs install (The ones above and temple run) and others it would be blocking (The updates to three currently installed programs and the program that brought the issue to my attention ("To Do Reminder"))?

Upvote 0
Ok, so I just randomly tried installing Temple Run and it worked. What would be letting some programs install (The ones above and temple run) and others it would be blocking (The updates to three currently installed programs and the program that brought the issue to my attention ("To Do Reminder"))?
What are the apps that you are having issues with? It may be a case where they are system apps and you are low on system space... Or something like that.

Upvote 0
Ok, so I decided to factory reset, thinking that would solve the issue. If I haven't mentioned previously, I'm pretty sure the SD Card isn't responsible, since I still receive the error when it's removed. After the factory reset, I'm still unable to install some programs, they still say insufficient storage. so I tried something different, and reset what I'd done with this and viola, it starts working. What I don't understand is why it didn't start giving me problems until now... Is it possible that the files couldn't update because they weren't meant to be on an SD card without being rooted? I could only move them over once I'd changed the install location, even if it was still installing to the internal memory by default. Any ideas before I close this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones