1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

'insufficient storage available' I've tried everything. please help

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by jeffrosun, Feb 4, 2016.

1. jeffrosun

jeffrosun Lurker

I have tried everything. Moving apps to SD card. Deleting caches. Downloading 360 phone booster. App cache cleaner. I have over five hundred mb space free in internal storage. I have two GB on SD card free. I have also looked up how much space the app I've been trying to download takes and its only fourty megabytes. Please help. If. Anything is there a cheap android I could buy with straight talk and just have it for games? Cause it doesn't seem like anyone has been able to solve my problem. Lol it's pathetic just because it says I have space yet when I actually TRY to UTILIZE that SPACE it tells me I DONT have THAT amount of SPACE. Very pathetic and incompetent way of making a device......

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. androidmachine

androidmachine Android Enthusiast

Devices typically reserve a set amount of space. On some devices, it's 500 mb. Others reserve less (mine reserves less), but there is always a limit below which you cannot go, and if installing an app would put you below it, you will get the insufficient storage message. Based on what you have written here, if that app is important to you then I would recommend uninstalling other apps to make room for the app you want. Putting apps on the SD card usually just puts a portion of the apps on the SD card. App data remains in the internal memory.

3. jeffrosun

jeffrosun Lurker

So then the only alternative is to buy another straighttalk phone with more memory huh.....and your statement doesn't make any sense at all just because I've had to factory reset this phone multiple times because I've only had five mb left......but now your telling me all of a sudden the system processes need over five hundred mb? Yikes I don't know where that info comes from but it seems like you guys need to start making OS that pander to storage not convenience in running apps...............

4. androidmachine

androidmachine Android Enthusiast

We do not make the phones. We are just users like you who donate our time to try to help out and lend our insights. And we are certainly not responsible for the phones you choose or don't choose to buy.

The alternative to buying a phone with more memory is to delete the apps that you don't absolutely need to free up space.

Crashdamage, PitCarver and svim like this.
  5. svim

svim Extreme Android User

If you would tell us what model phone you have and which version of Android its running we might be able to give you more definitive answers. But just offhand it sounds like whatever you're trying to do is beyond the capabilities of your current phone. If you have an economy-priced phone and want it to perform the same as a high-end flagship phone, you simply have to lower your expectations. Or save up and buy a phone that actually meets your needs. Note that smartphones have pretty limited hardware upgrade options. It's not like a desktop computer, with smartphones things like system memory (RAM), storage memory, central processor, graphics processor cannot be readily swapped out and replaced.

Crashdamage and androidmachine like this.
  6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Any computing device needs free space to run properly. Even a Windows or MacOS machine cannot have it's entire hard drive used up to 0 space left, otherwise it won't work. It needs a certain space open for opening temp files to run while an app is running, and will delete those once the app is closed. Typical for Android devices to have somewhere between 300-500mb hardcoded as temp file space. Also during installation, you need double the amount of the app size to install. You need space for the installer, then the space for the app to install. So in your case, a 40mb app needs at least 80mb free to install, then you have to make way for the at least 300mb free a device needs to have free to run properly. So you need approx 380mb free. Then we have to consider is if the app really just 40mb. An example would be Clash of Clans. The installer is only approximately 40mb as well. However, on installing, it would download additional data from CoC servers, which brings up the entire app to really be around 100MB. So that means, to install a game like CoC, you need 300+80+100mb free, or about 500mb. In your case, the app may need more than that. Ignore the SD card space as well during installation process.

Basically cheap phones aren't for gaming. If you want an Android device to play games on, buy something with AT LEAST 16GB storage.

Crashdamage likes this.
  7. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert