1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Insufficient storage help.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Chipstak, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Chipstak

Chipstak Well-Known Member

Insufficient storage notice. ......
    I'm using a huawei ascend mate 2 .. Running Android 4.3
    2.0gb ram . 12.64gb internal storage. also installed 64gb memory card.. ...
    I'm trying to update my apps from Google play store and I keep getting the insufficient storage notice. Says device doesn't have enough space to download. . Says to delete apps or content I no longer need....
    Phone says I have 5.53gb available on phone and 46.64gb available on sdcard... all my pics and other media is saved to sdcard. .. and I also moved as many apps to sdcard that I can... so I don't know y i get notice that there isn't enough room.....
    Anybody know y .? ... input appreciated. Thx.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. lvt

lvt Android Expert

Your phone's app memory has limited space, the app memory is different from the storages you mentioned above, it's a common problem with old phones.

If you can root your phone, it's possible to expand that app memory using your existing SD card.

3. Chipstak

Any other options for non rooted ?

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Been an older Chinese phone, I suspect it's got partitioned internal storage rather than the more recent unified internal storage. Unfortunately if you haven't got root or any other way of hacking and modding it, there's not a lot you can do with the thing, that's it.

tube517 likes this.
  5. lvt

lvt Android Expert

How about buying a new device ?

As @mikedt mentioned above, new phones don't have memory limit for apps.

tube517 likes this.
  6. Chipstak

No reason to buy a new phone... Phone works fine... Only issue in last 3 years w this phone is this internal storage thing.....
    I have tried to make space by uninstalling Google Earth which was a decent size file and still nothing.. I also uninstalled another GPS map which was large also.. and still nothing. ... So how is it app memory when I have been uninstalling and making room ?

7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

There's something that does happen, it's known as software bloat.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bloat
    Software bloat is a process whereby successive versions of a computer program become perceptibly slower, use more memory, disk space or processing power

I suspect the total app partition on this older Huawei is only about 2GB possibly
    , which three or so years ago might have been adequate, but now with current app versions, not so.

Suggest you install Storage Truth and post back the results
    , this should give us a better idea of what's going on with the storage, like how it is partitioned.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sa.storagetruth

FWIW partitioned internal storage was deprecated with Android 4.x versions, but some Chinese manufacturers stuck with it, for reasons known only to themselves.

#7 mikedt, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    tube517 likes this.
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

It will help you to understand where the memory is being consumed.
    This app can drill down into the storage and show exactly what is taking up your memory

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.diskusage

9. Chipstak

Thx.... I've tried to install diskusage but I can't cuz there is no room... I've also jus uninstalled cple more apps ....

Attached Files:

10. Chipstak

Tried to install storagetruth.... Didn't work.. no room... I don't wanna have to uninstall every app jus to check....

Attached Files:

11. Chipstak

Update...... Looks like the issue was the cache on some apps ... Had to clear it out ... And everything seems fine now.

Huawei Ascend Mate 2 Forum

The Huawei Ascend Mate 2 release date was January 2014. Features and Specs include a 6.1" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 400 processor, and 4050mAh battery.

January 2014
Release Date
Reviews