• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Insurance price up -- deductible down?

I just got that message today. I will be dropping the insurance before the week is out. I don't need the crap anyway.
Knowing them, the $80 deductible will probably only go to $75

I was wondering the same thing. When I got my phone I know the deductible back then was $85 and they would give you a refurbished phone. The insurance cost then was $4 per month ($48 per year).

I also know the deductible varies, depending on the price of the phone. I paid $229 for this phone back in November 2010. Since the Optimus is now $149 brand new (current pricing on MetroPCS.com) I was curious what the deductible price on that price would be, even before this new insurance announcement.

$48 per year (old amount) + $85 deductible (old amount) = $133. For a refurbished phone.
Brand new phone = $149.

So, I was about to cancel the insurance! :mad: I'm practically paying for a new phone anyway, but would only get a refurbished phone. The insurance made sense back when the phone was priced over $200.

Now that the insurance has gone up to $5 per month, that's $60 per year. Well, the new deductible better be something like $30! :p

Upvote 0
Reactions: BRIAN5337
Upvote 0
Hmm, $149 for a brand new phone or $69 for a refurb that may or may not work (I think that is why my wife's is not working right. Sold as new but was refurb).

I'll drop the insurance. Download the app to backup my phone to my Gmail. Then if anything happens to the phone (stolen, lost, whatever), I can use lookout to wipe the phone completely.
Done deal. Insurance is gone.

Upvote 0
Optimus: Old vs New

Total annual cost of insurance has not changed that much. Just means Metro is now getting more cash flow each month from all their customers. :rolleyes:

And if you go over one year without using the insurance, when you do use it by that time you really are paying the cost of a new phone.

$4 x 12 = $48 per year (old amount) + $85 deductible (old amount) = $133. For a refurbished phone.

$5 x 12 = $60 per year (new amount) + $69 deductible (new amount) = $129. For a refurbished phone.

Brand new phone = $149.

This insurance makes sense when a new phone is well over $200.

========

That's the current pricing. The new pricing doesn't take effect until June 1st. I found the online copies of the papers they mailed out.

Updated Information: Welcome MetroPCS Customers
Deductible Chart: http://www.asurion.com/html/documents/metropcs/MetroPCS_Handset_Deductible_Tables.pdf

Optimus M deductible will now be $69

The Indulge has a $129 deductible? :eek: Ouch.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones