• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Interaction between layouts and animations

What is the interaction between layouts and animations? I am using ConstraintLayout for an activity, and was able to apply individual animations to some of the views without difficulty, but it got me wondering...

If you translate, scale or rotate a view, doesn't that make it conflict with the constraints on it in its view group? I half expected to see other views moving about as the layout constraints were continuously reapplied. This didn't happen in my case (a chain of views were each rotated 360 around their centres), and would probably make life harder if it did.

So, what actually is the formal interaction between layouts and animations. Are the layout constraints only applied when the view is inflated, or on other specific triggers?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones