• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Interesting Articles.. post some interesting articles that other might enjoy.

What could go wrong?
Little-Shop-800x533.jpg

Upvote 0
Right now this kind of virus is almost entirely confined to the plant kingdom...and let’s hope it stays that way!
So far it's only been found in two animals, a moth and mosquito. As if mosquitoes weren't already deadly and annoying enough.

Fascinating article. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0
On February 28, a complaint was filed with Florida’s Indian River County Sheriff’s Department, alleging “open burning” in a yard on 85th Street. When the cops showed up, the gentlemen doing the burning said—paraphrasing here, but only a little—that his blaze was totally NBD, because the good s**t was still inside..

https://thetakeout.com/florida-man-marijuana-burning-arrest-1833549836

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
Our 'superbloom' of wildflowers continues making news.

This time, an entitled, arrogant couple landed their helicopter in the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve, then got out to hike among the sea of poppies and other wildflowers...trampling thousands of them in the process. :oops:

Apparently, viewing the flowers by legal, nondestructive means didn't appeal to these two jerks...

Upvote 0
Stumbled across this today...deep reflection on the timeless importance of trees...

Hermann Hesse on What Trees Teach Us About Belonging and Life
Thank you for sharing.

As I kept reading, it seemed more and more familiar. I thought I must've read it in school; I remember Hesse being a favored author of my teachers. I THINK I read it when the first Earth Day happened, but that could just be jumbled up, wishful memories.

At any rate, that first Earth Day made a HUGE impression on me, particularly when it comes to trees and how important they are for the very air we breathe. In my yard, there's no such thing as an unwanted, volunteer sapling; I always have them moved to an appropriate spot. That's how this property went from having two mulberry trees when I moved back in 2006, to its now-current count of ≈10. :D

Reactions: rootabaga
Upvote 0
Why are they striving to make a plant taste like meat?
Not A plant, plants. :)

By whipping up various concoctions using only plant-based ingredients, they're now making 'meat' that closely mimics the real thing. Just minus the atrocious cruelty to sentient beings that defines the meat industry.

The article provides startling statistics on water usage, pollution, etc., when comparing plant-based foods to their animal counterparts. For example:

"Beyond Meat says it takes 99% less water, 93% less land and 50% less energy to make plant-based burgers. They also emit 90% fewer greenhouse gases."

Even the least compassionate person who doesn't give a crap about animal cruelty, might take notice when seeing figures like these. Just think, using 99% less water...that's amazing.

The impact on the environment should be something everyone...well, some people, can rally around. With droughts and other environmental problems happening globally, this can be a viable solution.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I really enjoyed this nice piece of internet history.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/web/a27033147/netscape-navigator-history/

The University of Illinois was friggin shady. :mad:
I haven't read all of it yet--I keep getting sidetracked following its links--but just wanted to say it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :D

I loved Netscape. And to this day I'm still using it...sort of. Remember Netscape Communicator? I used it from its inception--and it eventually morphed into the browser/mail and newsgroup client I use today, SeaMonkey. I have mail--still perfectly accessible--from the last millennium.

I remember in 2003, my brother came to visit. He was a window$ user who knew nothing but IE (AKA, Internet Exploder). I had given him access to one of my computers (I don't need to qualify that with its OS, do I? :D Of course it was Linux). Of course, there was no IE, so I showed him how to access Netscape. I'd walk into the office for something, and notice that he had 8 million browser windows open! :eek: I had explained/shown 'tabbed browsing' to him, but he was so entrenched in the moronic M$ way of doing things...he just couldn't adjust.

I love that the article mentions Jurassic Park. I still have a wav file I downloaded in the '90s; it's the girl [in the movie] saying, "It's a UNIX system! I know this!" Smart girl. :)

Upvote 0
I haven't read all of it yet--I keep getting sidetracked following its links--but just wanted to say it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :D
Woot! Know what ya mean. Lots of great links. Like the "Unix Coder". From the very first sentence in that link I was captivated. Here's a quote from it:
Doshi drove to Silicon Valley in his parents’ Honda Civic, carrying a laptop with a twelve-slide presentation that was surely worth at least fifty million dollars.
:eek:

Remember Netscape Communicator?
Sure do. It came bundled with Messenger which I believe was to compete with Outlook (or whatever outlook was called back then). It's pretty cool the project still lives on through Firefox.

I love that the article mentions Jurassic Park. I still have a wav file I downloaded in the '90s; it's the girl [in the movie] saying, "It's a UNIX system! I know this!" Smart girl. :)
She sure is! You're gonna make me watch Jurassic Park again. I forgot that part. :D

Upvote 0
You're gonna make me watch Jurassic Park again. I forgot that part. :D
I remember it so well. There we were, watching this amazing movie in a theater, and out of the blue comes a line about UNIX. I think I poked my husband as I said, "did you hear that?! UNIX!" :D

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones