• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Interesting CNN article on Android's Open Operating System

Here is a link to an interesting editorial on CNN's website discussing Android's open operating system.

Opinion: Google Android is only 'open' if you're the phone company - CNN.com

Android is well on its way to being as "closed" as the iPhone. It is not being closed by Google, it is being closed by the Carriers and Manufacturers. Both the Carriers and Manufacturers are working hard to ensure that you can not change the phone from the way they dictate that you use it. They will continue to make it harder and harder to gain Root. Without Root, the Android is just as closed as the iPhone.

Upvote 0
Android is well on its way to being as "closed" as the iPhone. It is not being closed by Google, it is being closed by the Carriers and Manufacturers. Both the Carriers and Manufacturers are working hard to ensure that you can not change the phone from the way they dictate that you use it. They will continue to make it harder and harder to gain Root. Without Root, the Android is just as closed as the iPhone.

I feel this statement is false. No one, I mean no one can make something unrootable, or tweakable. It's not realalistic. There is always and will always be someone or some group that finds a way to work around it.

the iPhone is semi crippled, depending how you look at it, as there is ways to jail break it, and such.

Just like the Droid can be rooted.

And the blackberry has it's Hyrbid OS's.

Most people choose rooted for better performance and battery life.

Upvote 0
correct me if i'm wrong, but "open source" doesnt mean every android device has r/w system folders, unlocked bootloaders, etc. i think people confuse the term.
open source means the source code is readily available for anyone to make their own device. cell phones are a new frontier for open source OS. it isnt fair to compare phones to computers. the manufacturers are simply trying to protect themselves. sure, maybe they are making mistakes, but this whole thing is rather new, and they are simply trying to protect their bottom line.
android source code is readily available, and anyone can make applications, and we can get apps from anywhere. that is what open source is all about.

do i want devices with unlocked bootloaders and superuser access? of course. but, the fact that a manufacturer can make a device with android and lock it down, and set it up however they want, is exactly what open source is all about.

if you all want devices that arent locked down, and come pre-rooted, then you should also be prepared to pay $500+, and not expect the carriers to support them nearly as much. if you brick the device, too bad. i would actually support this, but it's not good for the average phone user. i may not be completely happy with the way things are, but i can't say i dont understant it.

Upvote 0

this isnt true at all. on the iphone, the only place you can get apps is the app store (unless you jailbreak, in which case, you then only get app store and cydia). and, it is really hard to get an app into the app store. anyone can put an app in the market. also, look how many manufacturers have android phones. how many manufacturers have iOS? that is the difference between open and closed source. it has nothing to do with bootloaders or superuser access.

Upvote 0
I totally agree with you sundOwn. Google's job isn't making phones. Google provides the OS, which is as open as open can be. They release the source code for any and everybody to see and use. they allow the developers free reign to use it as they please to make applications. The market is completely open. Only when something is deemed totally inappropriate or harmful will it be taken down. Google holds their end of open source up. They can't be held responsible to the fact that once mfgs. get the OS they lock it down.

basically:
Google/Android = OPEN
MFG./Carriers = Nazi

lol

Upvote 0
I totally agree with you sundOwn. Google's job isn't making phones. Google provides the OS, which is as open as open can be. They release the source code for any and everybody to see and use. they allow the developers free reign to use it as they please to make applications. The market is completely open. Only when something is deemed totally inappropriate or harmful will it be taken down. Google holds their end of open source up. They can't be held responsible to the fact that once mfgs. get the OS they lock it down.

basically:
Google/Android = OPEN
MFG./Carriers = Nazi

lol

and to add to that, it's our job as the consumer to have a loud enough voice to let them know what we want. we're never going to see every phone come to market unlocked and rooted.
but, if we can find a way to make our voice heard, maybe we'll see some nice pieces of hardware, that we can do with what we please. i, for one, will not be buying another phone with eFuse.

just as enough people screamed loudly about IE being locked on to windows. now it's removable. we need to do the same with encrypted bootloaders and bloat. i'm not holding my breath, but we still need to band together and try. i know we are a small community, but we're growing every day, and that's all the more reason to band together.

Upvote 0
No, and they haven't been for years.

I can agree that every news outlet has an objective... but I do think that CNN is one of the more reputable broadcasts that are up to date with everything.

I am going to miss Rick Sanchez now though... oh well.

FWIW I hold quite a few of the reporters with mucho respect. Sanjay Gupta, Anderson Cooper, and a many many others are great reporters and good people.

Upvote 0
the true source of the article is BusinessInsider.com they are a known apple enthusiast website. in essence, the bloggers are bought and paid for.

just look at their website and its all pro apple blog posts.

its the same thing as a foxnews article bashing the obama administration.

Upvote 0
the true source of the article is BusinessInsider.com they are a known apple enthusiast website. in essence, the bloggers are bought and paid for.

just look at their website and its all pro apple blog posts.

its the same thing as a foxnews article bashing the obama administration.

which is similar to msnbc getting wood over the obama admin :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones