• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Interesting Exchange security + Pattern Unlock bug/situation

ad720

Android Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2010
Back-story:

I did the manual OTA update to 2.1 and once I re-setup my exchange account it enforced the security policy (no surprise there thank god for LockPicker!). The Pattern Unlock stayed as well. So I would have to pattern unlock THEN input the 4 digit alphanumeric (major PITA) So after installing lockpicker I only had to pattern unlock - no problem.

Well I've had the dreaded "no-audio" bug a couple times since upgrading so I decided to try a hard reset before pursuing a warranty replacement. This time I did the same thing, setup my Exchange account and installed LockPicker. Now I do NOT have the pattern unlock. Under Security -> Screen Unlock Pattern I only have "Change Unlock Password" and there doesn't appear to be any way to enable the Pattern unlock.

Here is where it gets interesting. My friend has an Eris as well, is on the same exchange server and got 2.1. He is in the same boat that I was PRE 2.1 upgrade where he has the pattern unlock AND the password (I hipped him to LockPicker) and is now where I was with only the Pattern Unlock. Under his Security -> Screen unlock it is the same as mine, with only "Change Unlock Password". :thinking:

Now not have the pattern unlock is not the end of the world, I just liked having that small bit of security...just curious if anyone can find a way, short of another hard reset, to get Pattern Unlock back. I'm guessing that the issue is that I didn't enable pattern unlock before setting up Exchange and allowing it to enforce that security policy.

Any ideas or input is most welcome.

There is no way to use Pattern Unlock, unless you can find an app, if your connected to an exchange server because the phone is using the exchange server's policy to set the security on your phone. My company has the rules setup so if I input the password wrong too many times it will actually wipe my phone (nice huh).

I have not found that to be the case. Like I said, I was able to use it before my hard reset and my friend is currently using it.

I think it's just a matter of doing things in the right order to get it to work...

Upvote 0
I setup the pattern lock before I activated my Exchange account. Initially, I had both the pattern lock and the Exchange password to deal with until I downloaded Lockpicker. With that, I now have the pattern lock, with no Exchange password requirement. At this point, though, I don't have any way of changing the pattern lock, as the option to control it is no longer available in the Security settings. Hope the info helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones