• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Interesting Info Screen that you probably don't know about.

messenger13

Android Expert
Dec 8, 2009
Cleveland, OH
In a current thread, a forum member asked if there was a way to disable data. Putting my search skills to the test, I found the method ... and a whole lot more. This is really cool stuff. :cool: (I thought it was worthy of it's own thread.)

- Open dialer
- Dial *#*#4636#*#*
- Tap on 'Phone Information'
- Press Menu button
- Tap on More
- Tap Disable data connection (Or, Disable data on boot.)

Simply reverse the steps to re-enable your data connection ... either immediately, or after your next reboot.

There's a whole lot more to checkout while you in there. Just be careful. You don't want to screw up anything.

You are missing a step and may want to edit your post. When the "Testing" screen appears, you have to choose "Phone Information" first, then click the menu button to see this option.

Cool find though!

Anyone want to test out some of these options?

In a current thread, a forum member asked if there was a way to disable data. Putting my search skills to the test, I found the method ... and a whole lot more. This is really cool stuff. :cool: (I thought it was worthy of it's own thread.)

- Open dialer
- Dial *#*#4636#*#* - 'Phone Info' screen appears
- Press Menu button
- Tap on More

Simply reverse the steps to re-enable your data connection ... either immediately, or after your next reboot.

There's a whole lot more to checkout while you in there. Just be careful. You don't want to screw up anything.

Upvote 0
hmm i wonder what would happen if i configure it for GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)
maybe unlock some super hidden GSM verizon network and be able to talk and surf at the same time

buttttt probably not haha

Lol. That would be quite interesting, although I'm pretty sure that the actual hardware in the Droid can't pick up the bands for GSM, so I doubt it would work anyways.

Upvote 0
Interesting. I tried this and only got as far as Open dialer, Dial *#*#4636#*#*. At that point the dialer totally froze. Nothing changed on the screen, but none of the keys would work. I could hit the "BACK" button go get to my home screen, but when I went back into the phone, still nothing. Nothing would work.

So I removed the battery, rebooted, and like a dolt, tried it again. Same result. (Isn't "insanity" defined as doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?)

Rebooted again and decided I shouldn't try it again.

Upvote 0

- Open dialer
- Dial *#*#4636#*#*
- Tap on 'Phone Information'
- Press Menu button
- Tap on More

Other than disabiling the data connection, what other benefit does this info screen offer?

Upvote 0
This thing keeps track of every second of usage and for what app/program in order of used most-least, can you say DATAMINING?

I do like you can check battery temp and voltage without an app. Good find!

When I looked at it [Menu: Usage statistics], it only listed the applications used since the last re-boot. The usage may be limited for data mining, unless the usage stats are real-time (which might be an unnecessary drain on the network)

Upvote 0
what exactly does it do when you disable the data connection? Will verizon not know when you make/recieve calls and text etc??

This feature disables any data coming to and going from your DROID ... that's all. I kinda don't know what you're asking. Yes, you can still make/receive calls. And yes, Verizon still knows about every second you use your phone for such.

I guess I should add ... some employers require that your cell phone has all data turned OFF during work hours. Whether that is due to legal ramifications, or they are just being jerks. Whatever. Fortunately, my job doesn't care.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones