• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Interesting message regarding custom ROMS on Motorola site...

I can only hope that this is one of two things 1) this isn't an official statement from motorola and just a hoax or 2)someone at moto spoke outta line. i can not believe that they would make what could be considered one of the best open sourced phone in the market and then in a round about way say they'd like their phones to be treated like an iPhone or go somewhere else...i might be mis-reading but I LOVE MY DROID, but i might have to look at their perspective on it and follow THEIR advice for my next phone and buy me an HTC, if it does blow.

Upvote 0
I had no idea the Milestone was completely locked to development. That's a pretty big slap in the face if you ask me, and a deterrent for EU to develop anything with Moto phones, since it looks like their only open android phone is the Droid, which is CDMA.

At first I was expecting it to be a "we enjoy seeing such creative development, keep it up!" only to see, "Hey Milesone devs, go someplace else if you want to develop, apps or otherwise."

The controversy is about this thread, and why the Milestone can't boot unsigned firmware, whereas the Droid can. https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/114247#114247

The response is pretty much directed to this question:

Being initially a user of the HTC ADP1 (Android Developer Phone) I switched to the Milestone in late 2009 to continue developing for firmwares beyond 1.5. It always delighted me that Android, being designed as an open platform, allowed me to write apps, change the kernel, the recovery image or even the whole firmware.

I just noticed that Motorola doesn't seem to really share that "open" spirit of the Android platform, as almost all parts of the Milestone firmware are digitally signed my Motorola, making it virtually impossible to touch the device's firmware. Even more surprising is, that the Droid (being the CDMA version of the Milestone) seems not to employ digital signatures at all (this is why there are CustomRoms/Recovery Images for the Droid but not for the Milestone).

Even if Motorola released their kernel sources on opensource.motorola.com all this alls just seems more like lip service than a real comittment to Open Source and the Android platform. Why have an open system and release sources, when you lock-in your users by signing your firmware.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's right to put some boundarry on exchanging firmwares, because unaware users could easily brick their device that way. But Motorola should at least provide a way to unlock the Bootloader in a way similiar to Google with the Nexus One. (see http://androidandme.com/2010/01/hacks/video-how-to-unlock-and-root-a-nexus-one/)

Motorola should really think if it their proceedings are benefiting the Milestone eco-system as the more experienced users will sure try to avoid the Milestone because it does prevent you to run the software you want on your device!

just my 2 cents,

Maui

Upvote 0
It's simple once you get past his political correctness.

Here is the whole article summarized:

Stop putting custom ROMS on the Droid.
Your tweets, twats, twits, and posts on other forums is futile.
Motorola does not want. Period.
Here's some silly links to open source stuff.
Have a nice day.

lol that actually makes more sense, I believe you successfully translated from marketing-speak to English. :)

Upvote 0
Sounds to me like Motorola made the Droid/ Adroid combo too good, and they fear that ROM developers are keeping it from becoming obsolete in the timespan they had forecasted for it.
+1

While the bare-bones/stock DROID straight from the box is a very impressive piece of equipment, all the work that the devs from various website have done to make the DROID an even better phone is friggin' awesome!!!
I fully understand that we are not entitled to future improvements and Moto has no obligation to us other than making sure the phone does what it's advertised to do. However, I certainly hope that Moto will continue to support updates in the future that Android itself releases...specifically for non-rooted users.

Two months ago, I was so hyped about a 2.1 update from Moto. But now that I am rooted and have everything it offers anyway (and way more than Moto could ever think of), I could care less if they ever update the phone (but I still respect those who choose not to root and still want an official update).

As long as the hardware can support such features, I have full faith in the devs to easily take me to Android 2.2 or 2.6 or 3.0...or whatever versions may come out from Google in the future.
The devs may hit snags along the way and it may take awhile until a stable version is available of the then-current release of Android, but these guys (Pete, Taz, Steve, and all others) are doing great work!
Moto should hire these guys fulltime!
Then maybe, just maybe, Moto would regain some respect they have just recently re-lost...shame shame Moto!!!:mad:
Moto is simply jealous that they aren't/can't delivering what the devs are delivering to us!

Upvote 0
Wow... I feel for the Milestone owners. My Droid is exactly what I want, and the way I want it. Its nice to have that freedom, I don't think I could go back to stock after experiencing the freedom I have with my phone.

:(

No droid 2 for me, no moto period for me after reading that. I don't see why they couldnt have an option to simply register your phone to get an unlocked boot loader, and consequently, void that serial numbers warranty.

Upvote 0
It looks like you can make apps but you can't load custom roms. She mentioned that the second time she posted. Motorola don't make dev phones so she suggested if that's what your looking to do then go get a phone that supports that. At least that's how read it.

That's true, but the ire comes from Moto marketing the Milestone as a GSM Droid, which it turns out, isn't true. It does come with slightly different and/or new apps, such as equalizer, IM messenger, and FM radio, and a locked firmware/bootloader. The last part is what Moto said nothing about. I love the Droid, but no wonder Moto was heading down the tubes before, because they have no sense of creative direction, or love for the market they tried to get into, and can save (or could have saved) them: Android, and open source.

Upvote 0
Don't think Motorola was really on the boat with the open source stuff to begin with. I think Verizon came to them with the idea and they figured they could make some quick bucks selling this handset before the Iphone comes to Verizon, had they attempted to launch the droid and the android platform without the network argument to lean on I don't think they would have been as successful as they have done. That being said, I dont agree with their recommending another manufacturers phones, but if they are not going to support it, and probably are not equipped to deal with the open source headache. This really isn't Motorola's arena. However as long as they offer a rootable device, I will probably buy it seeing as I have been thrilled with the droid, even out of the box. It is tough luck for you Europeans though.

Upvote 0
Wow she is getting a flat out a$$ chewing in the comments section. Think they are listening?
They probably are, but knows that Motorola runs a one-hit wonder 10-year decline company. So they have 9 more years before releasing something worth getting and hope people will forget about today like they did with Droid.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones