1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Interesting v4 update experience

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mleunc, Oct 1, 2014.

1. mleunc

mleunc Newbie

So I got the update notification yesterday morning and couldn't get it to go away. I short sightedly thought well, this is not an android update and I'm still on stock rom so it won't effect my root. So I went ahead and downloaded the update, my phone restarted and I didn't give it much else thought cause I was at work. Then I decided to take a look here at the posts to see what other folks were experiencing. It was then I realized I may have messed up. Took a look at the software info, but to my surprise I still have v3 and c1 radio. I am not getting the update notification anymore and haven't since I took the update, but it appears it didn't update.

Any idea what may have happened or if I should worry about it?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. donjuro

donjuro Android Expert

Maybe you took some other update. Like for connections optimizer.

3. mleunc

mleunc Newbie

Nah, it was the v4 update I remember seeing that, it was like 236mb in size.

I don't have the connections optimizer, I deleted it long ago, but don't know if that would stop me from getting update.

4. smk75

smk75 Member

Same thing happened to me, if you want the update you can use the dl mode then run the software update it will detect the new update and update it, but you will lose root. If you still want root then use the zv4 rom.

mleunc likes this.
  5. redjama

redjama Android Enthusiast

Yup same thing happened here. How do you run the update through dl mode?

6. smk75

smk75 Member

You just do the dl mode that will put you back to v3, then when the android os comes up you go into settings, system updates, then run the update lg software option, then it will download and install it. Once that happens and it's back into android run a factory reset. After it reboots back to android just set up the phone like normal. You lose root this way so know that now. If you still want root you have to stay on v3 through dl mode and run towel root or just use the v4 rom.

7. redjama

Well it gave me the update again this morning, I ran it again, seemed it was good didn't get an error but I'm still on V3...weird

8. redjama

Can you give me the link? I can't seem to find it

9. Sands207

Sands207 Android Enthusiast

10. MrDaBucket

MrDaBucket Newbie

I've ran the update like 5 times. It never works. I'll have to try the rom

11. whoshotjr2006

whoshotjr2006 Android Enthusiast

I'd say just use the ROM, its a really easy process, as long as you follow it to the letter you have nothing to worry about.

The only thing I did different was factory reset before and not after, and flashed the supersu link provided to make sure I had root. Flash the ROM, then the radio, then supersu and bam no more update troubles or notifications.

donjuro likes this.
  12. donjuro

donjuro Android Expert

Hey, for you guys that tried to update and couldn't, you guys are rooted right? Did you guys uninstall any system apps?

13. mleunc

mleunc Newbie

Yeah I had removed some system apps, probably why it wouldn't update.

I did update using the rom, but instead of flashing supersu I used towelroot after flashing the rom and it worked.

14. donjuro

donjuro Android Expert

That's why it didn't update for you guys. Idk why lg would do this but if certain apps don't exist, it won't update.

15. ODGeek

ODGeek Well-Known Member

The OTA update uses patch files to update several existing APK and ODEX files. The update script checks the SHA1 sum of all the files it patches BEFORE patching any of them. If any are missing or DIFFERENT, the OTA update script "knows" and will fail to apply.

donjuro likes this.
  16. bg4m3r

bg4m3r Android Expert

Do you know which apps cause this? I had several apps uninstalled when I ran your update ROM, and it updated, and everything I had removed was restored. I did do a cache wipe and factory reset before updating.

17. donjuro

donjuro Android Expert

Of course you updated successfully. You didn't update ota. These guys on the other hand are on v3 and it won't update to v4 ota if you're missing apps. These guys aren't installing the ROM, they're installing the ota and failing.

bg4m3r likes this.

LG Volt Forum

The LG Volt release date was May 2014. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon 400 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

May 2014
Release Date
Reviews