• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Intermittent 3g/GSM functionality

Hi,

I have a Tablet S with 3g which I have started using on my commute to work.

I have found the GSM/3g functionality quite frustrating. It appears as though if the signal is lost the tablet does not reconnect when the signal is restored.

Once or twice on the journey the signal indicator in the bottom left will grey out ( no signal ) and not recover the signal until I intervene.

The indicator in the bottom right hand corner shows no signal i.e. goes dark grey ( despite being urban London ) until I either shut down and restart the tablet or occasionally go in to settings / mobile networks and untick and tick data enabled and data roaming.

The sim card is on O2 with unlimited data. I have (two) Dell Streak devices either of which happliy manage to operate on exactly the same route with the same SIM card i.e. might run slow on occasion but maintain connection to the internet / android market place. Same is true of my Blackberry 8300. APN is mobile.o2.co.uk. Under most circumstances the tablet will show full strength and indicate a 3G connection.
The WiFi functionality is disconnected in case of conflict.

Certainly the power management appears to be quite aggressive (always shuts down Wifi) won the Tablet S which is good. My assumption is that something is happening with that which means that the GSM unit does not attempt to reconnect.

I would have expected the tablet to better manage the situation of variable signal strength and maintain a data connection as a consequence.

If this behaviour is as it should be then I need to be considering another tablet perhaps which is a shame but I don't want to spend half my journey turning the tablet on and off.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Having contacted Sony, they collected the tablet, took it away to France, replaced some components and returned it.

Experience to date is that this had not resolved the issue.

Maybe it an unreasonable expectation on my part but I would not expect the 3g functionality to freeze requiring me to turn the tablet off and on to reset.

If this is to be expected using 3g on the go please let me know!

If anyone knows a simple way of reseting the GSM functionality I would be interesed to hear. Wireless mode on then off doesn't do it. Unticking and ticking the data functionality in the wireless settings doesnt do it. Combinations of the above don't work either.

I have only been using 02 so I will try Vodaphone next week ( not that I believe this to be a carrier issue ).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones