• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Intermittent phone signal

patrick85

Lurker
Sep 3, 2017
My S5 has developed an internet connectivity and phone signal issue. I managed to fix the internet connection issue (knock on wood) by installing a "booster" app. However, my phone signal still fades in and out. One minute I'll have sufficient signal to make a call or send a text, and then a few minutes later I will have no signal at all (zero bars.) It does not matter where I am at. Whether I'm at home, or work, or driving, my phone signal is always intermittent.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I might be able to fix this?

If your phone is that old, it is virtually certain that it is not compliant with the newer technologies that providers are using.

The providers are shutting down the old systems, so these older devices will have less and less capabilities.

It sucks, I know.
But technologically speaking, the device is a dinosaur.

Upvote 0
https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5-6033.php
Your phone is nine years old, it's old, unsupported, and out-of-date, with unavoidable software and hardware limitations. Really, it's time to upgrade to a new phone, or at least something newer. An example being this model doesn't include support for 5G, and even its support for 4G/LTE is limited at best. Basically,expect more and more online connectivity problems as time goes by. You can keep adding workarounds and hacks to keep your S5 in its marginally usable state, or just get a phone that works as is without the hassles.

Upvote 0
Factory reset? New SIM card? Those are the first two things I would try. Your phone came out in 2014 so it is about 9 years old. Wish I had a better answer.

I have actually done multiple factory resets in the past few months because my phone runs out of storage space so fast. Maybe I can try a new SIM card. Thanks for your feedback!

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s5-6033.php
Your phone is nine years old, it's old, unsupported, and out-of-date, with unavoidable software and hardware limitations. Really, it's time to upgrade to a new phone, or at least something newer. An example being this model doesn't include support for 5G, and even its support for 4G/LTE is limited at best. Basically,expect more and more online connectivity problems as time goes by. You can keep adding workarounds and hacks to keep your S5 in its marginally usable state, or just get a phone that works as is without the hassles.
Getting a newer phone is probably the most sensible option at this point. Thank you for your feedback!

Upvote 0
My Samsung S5 is running LineageOS 18 or Android 11 once I got it installed myself the updates come once a month. No problem of being outdated by the carrier since my cell uses T-Mobile 4G LTE. Yes, I don't need 5G yet. My Casual use of Gmail, youtube, and web browsing using Firefox also includes using Alexa to control my smartplugs and security cams is all working fine BUT the battery does not last a full day. Better to move on to the latest technologies especially improved battery life. Buying the new phone on a 2yr payment plan makes it very easy to afford.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have actually done multiple factory resets in the past few months because my phone runs out of storage space so fast. Maybe I can try a new SIM card. Thanks for your feedback!
I added a 64Gb microsd card for $10 and I keep the data stuff on the ssdcard instead of the 32Gb internal memory leaving more room for apps. The Samsung S5 has the sdcard slot. New Sim is not needed nor would it help with storage.

Upvote 0
My S5 has developed an internet connectivity and phone signal issue. I managed to fix the internet connection issue (knock on wood) by installing a "booster" app. However, my phone signal still fades in and out. One minute I'll have sufficient signal to make a call or send a text, and then a few minutes later I will have no signal at all (zero bars.) It does not matter where I am at. Whether I'm at home, or work, or driving, my phone signal is always intermittent.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I might be able to fix this?
If you upgrade yourself (not Samsung) to a newer Android version you can try making your phone calls via the wifi calling option. Today I use T-Mobile and use it on my Moto G stylus smartphone for the spotty cell signal areas of my house. 5 yrs ago AT&T gave us a cell booster box to attach to our router to help with the dead cell signals within our home.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones