• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Internal memory full!

AlExFoRsUrE

Sep 5, 2010
Hey, I have a little question.
I run on a desire 2.2 froyo.
I have enabled apps to sd, and moved all the apps that can be moved?(dunno if i can move all the apps?)
well, the problem is, my internal memory gets filled up pretty fast. So my question is:

"How to move all the "crap" over to the sd-card??"

Thanks for all the answers!!

I had a similar problem and seem to have sorted it.

I had about 75 - 80 apps usually and never had much more than about 15mb left. All the apps I had were pretty small, stuff I needed or stuff built in to the rom, barely any games.

I went to MoDaCo's page, there's this kitchen thing where you can pick and choose what goes on your rom, I got rid of bits like flip coin widget, rubbish like that, then I downloaded it.

Then (and I may be a proper n00b, but I think this is the most important thing I did), I partitioned my microsd card before I put the rom on.

Once that was done, I had 115mb internal memory. Even after installing all my normal apps, I had about 90mb. I've now shoved on some big games like pocket legends, lets golf etc and still have over 50mb left.

I'm very happy with what I did, even if I had no clue what I was doing mostly

Hope this helps some

Upvote 0
I had a similar problem and seem to have sorted it.

Then (and I may be a proper n00b, but I think this is the most important thing I did), I partitioned my microsd card before I put the rom on.

Once that was done, I had 115mb internal memory. Even after installing all my normal apps, I had about 90mb. I've now shoved on some big games like pocket legends, lets golf etc and still have over 50mb left.

I'm very happy with what I did, even if I had no clue what I was doing mostly

Hope this helps some

I think that's a great suggestion, one of the best I've seen yet.

I've been afraid to partition my SD card, since I don't know what effect it will have on my installed programs. I figure I can copy everything to my PC, maintaining the directory structure, then partition and copy everything back....but again, not sure how doing that will affect the phone.

Upvote 0
I have enabled apps to sd, and moved all the apps that can be moved?(dunno if i can move all the apps?)
well, the problem is, my internal memory gets filled up pretty fast. So my question is:

Questions...

How large is your SD card?

What did you end up doing and what seemed to help the most?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Alex, for sure you are really annoying in this thread. You should try reading what people respond, and reading in other threads as well.

There is no magic answer to your problem.

Some apps allow you to move them to SD. If they allow it, you will know that already because you stated above you are using apps2SD for that purpose. You don't even need that, because you can go to manage applications and move them manually.

The developer of each app needs to enable support for moving to SD card.

If you still have no space on your phone after moving things, how about deleting some apps?

Seriously, what do you need all those things for?

Using Astro, you can backup your apps to your SD card. It will save an APK file on the SD card so you can reinstall whenever you want.

Now, if you want to root your phone / repartition / etc there are some other options. Tell us if you want to do that and there are people who can help you.

I also have a Desire. I delete apps that I don't use, and I have plenty of space.

Your phone will actually be MORE laggy if you have a slow SD card and you are running apps stored on the SD card. If your phone is laggy now, it's because you have TOO MANY APPS INSTALLED! They are probably running in the background and doing all sorts of things.

Sorry to be blunt, but that is your main issue.

Upvote 0
ok, if the phone runs slowly when i Install many apps, clearly its something wrong...
That means it sucks..

And also, I just ask around if someone knows any better way than deleting apps over and over, just to reinstall and crap like that! I want to have a way of keeping my apps on the phone...

And also, i have read around.. and i have found a soulution...
So what u say is i don't read peoples answers? why do u think i posted this thread?

Sorry to be so blunt.. But i have read.. and just answering to what i think people needed to know..

Upvote 0
There are deffinatly some ways of installing any app on the SD card (though it's not recommended for things like live wallpapers as they'd just crash) I'm running cyanogenmod on my nexus and I can move any app I wan't to the SD card. I imagine there must be an app that will allow this at least for rooted phones (bear in mind rooting doesn't necessarily mean you need to install a new rom so you could keep the stock one).

Upvote 0
Ok, so i tried to partion my sd card, it didn't give me more internal space.. but it did clean my sd card, remove all my apps, and give me alot of work..

So i have another question.
-Wich custom rom is best atm for the htc desire?
and also:
-Why should u install a custom rom?

Maybe you should post the different question in a different thread with a different title so that people might see it and answer it!

Upvote 0
ok, if the phone runs slowly when i Install many apps, clearly its something wrong...
That means it sucks..

No phone is going to let you run an infinite number of apps at all times without getting slow. None.

If you have lots of apps installed, and they are working in the background, your phone will get slower. What part of this don't you get?

And also, i have read around.. and i have found a soulution...
So what u say is i don't read peoples answers? why do u think i posted this thread?

Probably because you keep repeating and asking what is basically the same question over and over again in this thread?

I have an app called app2SD.. but it can't move all the apps to the sd card.. So my memory gets fillt up anyways..

So im screwd...?

hi, I have an 16 gb sd card. Is there any way for me on my desire to move many apps over to the sd card? because i have a feeling that my phone is more "laggy" when the internal memory is full.

Also, I have tried to try the cachecleaner. But i can't use sandbox (or something) on my desire..?

Your phone has a limited amount of space. There is no magic way to increase that. All options have trade offs.

The easiest, simplest answer we can give you is "Move some of the apps to the SD card, and if you still need more space - delete things you don't use."

As WW said, you might want to post questions about custom ROMS in another place (at least a new thread with a clear subject title). You'll get a better response.

Upvote 0
I have titanium backup, but its no such option as "move to sd"..
There is an option to move to SDcard, Just follow these simple steps...

1. Select Titanium in app drawer.

2. When it has opened, select the middle tab entitled "Backup/Restore".

3. Select an app from the list and give it a long press and this will open an on-screen menu entitled "Special features".

4. Providing your app can be moved to the SD card there will be an option to "Move to SD card" shown.

5. Select this option and the app is moved.

6. Repeat steps 3, 4 and 5 for all app's you wish to move.

I would advise keeping your some app's, such as your current wallpaper app, Launcher Pro/ADW etc; and any other app's that you wish to access on the phone when connected via USB as they will be temporarily disconnected in this state if they are on your SD card.

Hope this helps. :D

Upvote 0
Partitioning your SD card won't free up your internal memory. The App2SD program shows your total memory and your free memory. I just cleared cache from several apps and freed up 10 meg of memory. There are apps for clearing cache or you can just go into Manage Applications. In the App2SD program, if you go to the Phone Only tab you can see the size of the apps and uninstall any you don't really need. How much memory does your phone give you to start with?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones