1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support Internal memory...how much do you have left?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RocketFoot, Feb 14, 2011.

1. RocketFoot

RocketFoot Well-Known Member

Just wondering how much internal memory you have left?

I have 44% remaining and it's buggin me! How can I free up some mem? I tried to remove some factory aps like twidoryd but the is no uninstall button. What can I do to free up some space?

Advertisement

2. FuzyBaffy

FuzyBaffy Newbie

Are you talking about ram. Or Rom application storage. Froyo takes about 156 ram (plus it loads apps wich it will kick out if you need the space) leaving you about 244 max ram at boot. I had a droid it never had more than 100 megs of RAM avalable it would never let me listen to slacker and cruise the web at the same time. The optimus V is heavenly for a multitasker like me. Only complaint is 3d gaming but I'll live I have a PSP and a DS which are a helluva lot nicer for games.

If you are talking about ROM onboard application storage to remove the crapware you will need to root your Optimus V. Then get free Titanium backup after you get root you can use Titanium to uninstall even factory installed items easily. There are multiple ways listed around.

I am not bothering rooting until there is a clean ROM that is based off v official source. I am really happy with my optimus V. I don't want to keep guessing if something isn't working due to the hacked rom I am using.

Rember to go to applications and manually move your application to SD storage where they let you. In order to get more onboard storage space. You can also go to listed applications running and kill DUN for a little extra memory.

3. RocketFoot

I'm looking at the Quick Settings screen and at top left, it shows Phone Free and SD Card Free. Today it says Phone Free: (43%) 77.29mb. My 2gb card is 99% free...

That can't be good...LOL

I'm not in to rooting and all that either...I like to stick close to stock.

Maybe I have to look for an app to move some installed apps to my card?

4. FuzyBaffy

FuzyBaffy Newbie

Not to beat a dead horse but you know you have to go to each application and manually move it to SD if available. There is an app that will show you all the ones that can be moved instead of manually looking at each app under settings -> apps.

You think you're bad. My phone has about 28 megs storage space free. I am looking at you 18megs of Pac Man CE. Those idiots haven't allowed moving to SD storage and it's been out for a year.

5. RocketFoot

Oh yeah...I have already done that. I'm trying to get rid of the bloatware that came with the phone! I could free up so much space if there was an app to kill them!

6. digitaljeannie

digitaljeannie Well-Known Member

The only way to get rid of the bloatware is to root and remove the apps from /system/app

7. digitaljeannie

digitaljeannie Well-Known Member

8. RocketFoot

Can I use move2SD Enabler without being rooted? I see in the app desp it lists root as a requirement.

Move2SD Enabler (root only) - Android app on AppBrain

9. mikeladue

mikeladue Newbie

10. kermlax

kermlax Lurker

there's noting wrong with 44% left. i have 16% left.about 30mb. its just internal storage . my phone doesnt run any slower. what your looking at the internal memory . not the ram. thats what its there for.

Also when i boot my phone up and kill all the apps that automatically start up i have 333megs of Ram. after i put all the apps i want into the ignore list i have 300mb ram left.

The lowest iv been on ram was 168 and that was with camera,music,video and web browser ope. once i killed them it went to 268.

11. RocketFoot

I'm just worried about running out of room for apps that I want to install or run. I really haven't downloaded anything that I didn't need or want so it will be hard to remove something to make room for something else!

12. TVCCS

TVCCS Android Enthusiast

FYI...I was reading a post over at Vlingo support, and one of the reasons phones are running out of memory so fast is that according to Vlingo, if you want to have any widgets associated with Android development, Google now wants the program to reside in main memory and not be able to be moved to the card. That's a major issue with a lot of apps on top of everything else.

13. brandonopolis

brandonopolis Lurker

40.18MB Free right now

14. RocketFoot

I think I'm in pretty good shape right now...I'm hovering around 50% after moving all I could and clearing caches. I'm definitely only looking at apps that allow SD storage.

On another note, If I decide to get a bigger SD card, How do you go about transferring all your apps and data to the new one? I assume you can just make a backup on a pc, format the new card and then upload the backup to the new one?

15. TVCCS

TVCCS Android Enthusiast

I just did that...somewhat odd. I had both the old 16GB and new 32GB cards in my PC, one through the SD slot and one through a USB adapter. I had originally tried to do the copy through Windows Explorer with the card in the phone, but it didn't work. Then...

It didn't work through the dual direct mount method either using Windows Explorer. Just sat there. I didn't try copying the files off to the PC and recopying them back. But...

I have a copy utility program called TeraCopy I use now and then, and that worked when Windows Explorer did not. Looks like everything mounted on the new card okay, and all the prior programs are there. I did a quick movie playback and it looks fine as well on the Class 2.

I was curious about hidden files on the existing card, but the only ones I found were in a "Found" folder for broken files, etc. I'd run an Error Check/CHKDSK on both cards when they first balked at the transfer, and the 16GB card ended up with a Found folder with more than 200 files/fragments and nearly 50MB of bad data after CHKDSK. The joy of flash memory.

16. TVCCS

TVCCS Android Enthusiast

And...an update on the card duplication...one thing (so far) that seems to be broken is the Gallery...it looks to me like all the pointers are gone...it's not loading most of the images from the card, even though they are still there...and there's no manual "refresh" in the app. I knew something was going to glitch on this copy process...dangit.

17. TVCCS

TVCCS Android Enthusiast

If you have apps installed to the card...after looking at what I went through upgrading from a 16GB to a 32GB card, I'd recommend either moving all the apps back to the phone before you do the switch, or likely better still, doing a factory reset and reinstalling from scratch. I had some major glitches, escpecially related to the Gallery being broken, which none of the suggested fixes I could find would resolve. The phone's performance was also very glitchy and slow.

After doing the reset and reinstall, everything was back to normal, and the performance in everyday use with the Sandisk Class 2 card was just about as fast as with the Wintec Class 10 I had prior.

18. atraum

atraum Member

I lucked out on the SD swap file transfer and have had no issues that have popped up for the past week I have been using it. Went from the stock 2GB to a 16GB with about 40 apps and approx 15 photos. Just unmounted the old, put the new in and completed a format. Then took both to a Win7 machine and loaded one with a SD adapter and the other with a USB adapter did a select all and copied. Had a couple of file length issues with some items (pointers?) from Google Reader but it appears that they rebuilt themselves because nothing has popped an error on the handset. Whew!

19. aarrrchie

aarrrchie Lurker

57.15 megabytes free. I rooted and downloaded. move2sd.I changed it to external, moved everything to sd that it would let me in the settings.