• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Internal memory low - .apk install fail - nothig left to delete

A Program was eating up my internal storage down to about 1 MB. I uninstalled it. Then I started deleting apps and trying to free up some space by emptying caches.

Now I want to backup with any app but it did not work. I got onto HTC hotlines and had conversations with 7 guys for 4 hours (...) and doing my homework on the matter for about 6 hours in between.
I was able to free up about 70 MB by granularly emptying caches and getting rid of anything NOT effecting my contact information.

I get following message with any app I try to install:
Out of space
HTC Backup could not be installed.
Free up some space and try again.
Tried it with MyPhoneExplorer too - same error
So, can anyone tell me, how much space it needs?
I basically only want to backup my contacts, SMS and call history.

DiskUsage lets me know what storage is used...
  • Applications 55MB (Pre-installed stuff like quickoffice, maps, facebook, ...)
  • System data 1022MB (?)
  • Free space 73 MB (!)

I've come across this issue once before and I think the problem was sorted by a factory reset unfortunately :(

You could try installing the app that caused the space issue in the first place (what was it btw?), then clearing the cache and data, then uninstalling again?

If you head to the manage applications menu, it lists apps and how much space they take up, what's top?

Reactions: AlphaGrowl
Upvote 0
Thanks for your answer

I tried reinstalling the app even causing some cache data to actually clear it. But it only teared the new cached data.
Wanted to do a factory reset but crucial information is still on the phone.
Even wanted to root the phone to install with sdk but as it seems here in Germany I lose my warranty doing so.

Any more ideas?

Upvote 0
You might have to go for a factory reset I'm afraid, sorry.

I've had a look at what you want to back up and if it's just your contacts, SMS and call history, that's easily doable. You can back up your contacts using this. Your SMS, you can backup with SMS Backup & Restore and your call history using this.

Does that help?

What I have tried in the mean time ...
Installing various apps ... did not work! Even deleted my cotacts after manually copying all contact data (a day's work :-/) to free up some space and I am up to 80M of internal storage free. But still same error occurres:

Out of space
HTC Backup could not be installed.
Free up some space and try again.​

What still is possible though, is that I can reinstall apps that I have deinstalled. So I reinstalled 30M woth of apps and deinstalled them again. But no new ones like MyPhoneExplorer Client (ca.500k) or HTC Backup (ca.190k) could be installed due to this error. (From Marketplace or .apk on SD-Card!)

Any more ideas? I need my call logs and sms. This is my company phone :-(

Thanks for any further help/troubleshooting in advance :)

AlphaGrowl

Upvote 0
btw manually copying my call logs and sms would take like ... forever ! ^.^

HTC folks wanted me to deinstall everything to free up space. They have also told me that 70 megs of free space is by far enough. I am officially up to 83 now. So that the phone might get that point too, I cleared all caches again. Even took out the battery several times until the date reset itself, (min. 15 minutes, once over night) to see if the phone gets it ... but it doesn't!

What now?

AlphaGrowl

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones