• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

internal memory

leemorris1

Lurker
Jun 18, 2010
Hi
I have a galaxy portal 2.2
the internal memory was getting full so i installed a new 4gb sd card thinking it would give me more storage, this is ok for music photos etc but seems apps are stored on phone memory, when i want to get new apps i have to remove some old ones , i've looked on market for an apps to keep apps on sd card, but can't find anything.
Surely there must be some way to do this.

Thanks
Lee

There is an application called app2sd in the market that allows a rooted device to move some applications over to the microSD card.

Do a Google search for more inforamtion on how to use app2sd.

Also, if you're running Android OS 2.2 (Froyo), you already have the ability to move some (a very small number) of applications over to the microSD card.

What is really needed is:

1. A standard established setting the minimum internal memory for application storage to something more acceptable (like 512MB or preferably 1GB).

2. An application that can force almost any installed application over to a microSD card. App2sd is good but it could be better.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
if you are using 2.2, go to menu/settings/applications/manage applications, and click on each app one by one and see if it has the option to move to sdcard, if it does, click it, if its greyed out then you cannot. dont move apps with widgets, livewallpapers or system related apps as they wont work well from the sdcard.

Upvote 0
Don't overlook the cache that your apps use as typically cache uses the same space that apps are installed to. In some cases, clearing cache may help.

As for moving apps to SD, keep in mind that you don't want to move any widgets. Also keep in mind that the SD card is slower than internal memory.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones