1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Internal memory

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by urdaddi, Jun 27, 2011.

1. urdaddi

urdaddi Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 1, 2010
    West Florida
    The internal memory seems to be extremely small on the Droid Charge. Has anyone had any issues with that amount of internal memory?

Advertisement

2. Chi-TownTx

Chi-TownTx Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 19, 2011
    Nothing so far unless using the Default TW. That kinda laggs between screen flips at times but if you DL Go Launcher it's a thing of the past. Haven't had a problem with video/gaming/ect as of yet. Though i also don't use the default browser either. Current setup is Go Launcher along with Xscope as my browser (still fastest rated browser to date).

3. GunnerJim

GunnerJim Well-Known Member
    None

May 28, 2011
    Tech
    Washington State
    From my research and questioning the tech support at Samsung and VZW (I posted some of these screenshot results in my comparison posts weeks ago in this forum and in the LG Revo forum) the DC has 2 GB internal memory, 512MB is allocated for use right now. After the OS takes up it's lion share, that leaves 328MB for App memory usage, based on order of priority it gets eaten up quick. I have asked the question numerous times, maybe a sharp developer or tech can weigh in... When GB comes, can the internal memory be resized??? I am under the opinion there is a way to do this, imagine re-allocating the 512MB to 1GB for hot usage. But I am willing to concede that it can't be done if someone can educate me/us...

4. urdaddi

None

Jul 1, 2010
    West Florida

Hey GunnerJim, I have read most of your posts here and in the LG forum, as I am looking at either the LG Revo or the Droid Charge. There is a lot that I like about the Droid Charge.....but I keep coming back to that tiny amount of internal memory. I would like to thank you for providing all the information that you have so far.

I am coming from a Droid X, which seemed to have a much larger internal storage.

5. GunnerJim

GunnerJim Well-Known Member
    None

May 28, 2011
    Tech
    Washington State
    urdaddi, I had a struggle with deciding between the two phones. I love both companies, my cameras at home are Samsung, I have monitors from both, tv's from LG, great experience with LG phones voice quality is usually really good, radio strength is usually really good with LG... The memory advertised by both is 512MB, so when it came down to it...

The Droid Branded phone, the sister or brother of the baddest phone on the planet (The Samsung Galaxy SII) on a 4G/LTE network running at 28MB down (IME), the Super AMOLED Plus, the great camera, the formfactor is different than most phones- Different, but clean and thoughtful, the light feel and even with extended battery it is still lighter than the TB and LG Revo, plus the Battery Life is light years ahead of the other two drove me back to the Droid Charge. The LG Revo runs a close second, I like the VoLTE capability it has for the future, but in the end that was not enough to keep me. Bing was a little of a turnoff, even though there are workarounds.
    My 2 cents.

6. urdaddi

None

Jul 1, 2010
    West Florida
    I guess I am using the wrong terminology.....where I am actually talking about the amount of storage. 2GB of storage seems very small, when most other devices that I see has much more. I know that not all apps that one can download are able to be put on the SD card.

7. BlueBiker

BlueBiker Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2010
    Male
    New England
    No, the 512MB of RAM and 2GB of internal storage are separate and unrelated.

512MB of RAM is probably enough for most average users, but power users who run a lot of simultaneous apps/widgets may find it constraining, especially toward the end of a 2yr commitment.

The 2GB is NAND flash [or something equivalent] where you can store apps and app data. It's not a lot compared to some other phones, but the 32GB SD card is gigantic for those apps that can install or store their data there.

8. potterdood

potterdood Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    Male
    Verizon Wireless Tech Support
    Anderson, SC
    get the force2sd app and you can put EVERY app on your phone onto your sd, that clears up a lot of space, just remember, if it's on your sd you can't use widgets.

BlueBiker likes this.
  9. urdaddi

None

Jul 1, 2010
    West Florida

There are still a lot of apps that will not go to the SD card.

10. mdcowby

mdcowby Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 14, 2010
    Home Repair Services
    Maryland
    The bottom line to all of this is they need to stop loading the bloatware on these phones or at least give us owners of our phones the option to trash them... I think its funny all this hype about new phones but they are always lacking something that's built or installed into another phone with all the information that people leave on these sites you would think one of these company's would build a phone that has what people want..

11. Shurple

Shurple Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 3, 2011
    Female
    Graphic Designer
    NJ
    I have had this app and it does not force ALL apps to SD only the ones that you can move yourself anyway. I wish it worked that easily though!!!! :)

Regarding memory:
    I have run out of memory yes, and VZW says it's a known issue for droids to fail when the SD card goes bad which is often. They recommend wiping or reformatting the SD card every few months. Uh yeah no. Lose all my game progress and data because they have faulty cards? I suggest getting a phone that does not rely on the card for memory. Problems fixed.

12. Zohar127

Zohar127 Member
    None

May 28, 2011
    I wouldn't say the RAM of the Droid Charge is incredibly small. It's completely average as far as single core Android phones go. However, if you're worried about this just wait for the Droid Bionic unless you absolutely must have an SAMOLED screen (which is a pretty dang good screen!)

That said, I haven't had many issues with it. Occasionally when I exit an app I have to wait for the phone to reload my home screens. Honestly, all I did was install Go Launcher, Go SMS, and Opera browser and the phone works near flawlessly. Touchwiz does kinda suck. It's very choppy and slow. This phone's issues originate from the poor software moreso than the average hardware.

13. mdcowby

mdcowby Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 14, 2010
    Home Repair Services
    Maryland
    Phone has to be rooted to use force2sd app...

14. Sportster

Sportster Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Male
    Steelworker
    Indiana, US
    A trick I've used to get apps to go to the SD card when they kept saying they couldn't is DL Titanium BU,backup the app to it, make sure that the 'load app to SD or external' is checked in TBU,uninstall the app off the phone, then REinstall it from the backup off of TBU. It will then put the backed up app on the SD card. :)

15. Shurple

Shurple Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 3, 2011
    Female
    Graphic Designer
    NJ

Dont u need root for that?