1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Internal Phone Storage: GS2 vs Sensation

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by ayrique, May 23, 2011.

1. ayrique

ayrique Lurker
    None

May 23, 2011
    Hello!

I am having real trouble finding the exact answers, so hopefully someone here knows.

I've had the otherwise terrific HTC Desire for a year now, but I am completely fed up with the "Internal Phone Storage is getting low" issue. I want to be able to install any app and game I could possibly want without ever seeing this message again. Desire bragged about having approximately 500 MB ROM, but only 148 MB was actually made available to the user (Settings - SD & Phone Storage - Internal Phone Storage)[FONT=&quot][/FONT]. Googling this for Samsung GS2 and Sensation comes up with an internal memory of 16GB for GS2 and 1GB for Sensation. But that is not the same as Internal Phone Storage. Can anyone tell me what the exact space that is made available to the user on these two phones? Since Sensation actually has less total memory than Desire HD, I'm guessing the answer is embarrassing for HTC. But hoping the GS2 has enough.

Thanks a lot! :)

Advertisement

2. Usta

Usta Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
    It is true that Desire has only 148MB internal storage allocated for applications.
    However, thanks to a strong community of developers and users, the memory shortage is fixed by using various tricks after rooting the phone. I myself have a Desire and have huge amount of applications installed without any problem.

Sensation has 1GB internal storage for apps, and SGS2 has about 2GB (they partition 16GB internal storage into 2GB apps + 14GB data).

3. ayrique

ayrique Lurker
    None

May 23, 2011
    Thanks Usta! That's a clear answer. :)

I suppose few people complain about this limitation because most people root. And after reading more on this forum it seems there is no real downside to rooting (except the warranty). I was originally very skeptical to doing this, but decided that I'm going to give it a go. Maybe it will breathe another year into to my Desire. Plus it does sound like fun. And with this senseless limitation the manufacturers are enforcing, they are pretty much asking their users to root.

Are there any HTC Desire specific guides for doing this or can I just pick any general guide for Unrevoked for instance?

4. Harry2

Harry2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    I read somewhere the HTC Sensation has 4GB internal storage with 1GB free for apps.

My Desire HD has about 1.1GB internal storage free for apps.
    I have no problem with "Internal Phone Storage is getting low" any more :)
    And with my Desire I had the problem all the time.

Harry

5. Guamguy

Guamguy Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    HTC was brain dead sticking that 150mb of internal phone memory in the Desire. As a note, the Nexus One had 170mb and the HTC Magic had 250mb.

HTC also failed to correct that problem in time for the HTC Desire. The next phone they released immediately after that, was the US only Droid Incredible. It had 1.1 GB of internal phone memory. The Desire was launched in March of 2010, the Droid Incredible in April.

Every HTC phone after that, except for the Wildfire, had over 1GB for apps.

6. Usta

Usta Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands