1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

internal space and sd card issues

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by erry, Feb 9, 2011.

1. erry

erry Well-Known Member

hi there

obviously it is known that the desire only has a small internal capacity- and i have just managed to fill mine up

BUT i have almost 7gb's free on my 8GB SD card-

What is the best way to get the phone to use the memory card for storage instead of trying to cram everything onto the internal memory?

cheers

erry

p.s. and what can i just go ahead and erase from the list of folders containing files when i open it uip on my pc?

do i need the HTC sync start up programme at 35 mb's? etc.

2. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Well you can move parts of some apps using Manage applications "Move to sd" if you have froyo. But it doesnt save you much space.

There is a dirty hack to force "all" apps to SD, see the tips & Tricks sub forum for details (although not really recommended).

Then there is rooting and getting a rom with apps2sd+. Bit more comlicated, but best for space all round, but not without its risks. People shoudl really be familiar with their device (and teh associated risks) before going into this.

erry likes this.
  3. erry

erry Well-Known Member

i have gone down the list of installed apps and moved all the ones that i could move to the SD card

am i right in thinking it will only let you move them if its not going to affect them working- but it stops you moving them if it will cause problems?

and yeh- it only freed up 36mb's - but was still worth doing!

4. SUroot

Well, it has to be coded into the app by the developer to allow it to move.

You can circumvent this on an unrooted phone by changing the default install location, but some apps and all widgets will not work properly, so you will have to individually move these back.

See these threads for details:
    http://androidforums.com/desire-tips-tricks/160560-force-apps-install-sd-without-root.html
    http://androidforums.com/desire-tip...apps-sd-card-unrooted-device-noobs-guide.html

As I say, it is a dirty hack, so not ideal but may help a little.

5. erry

erry Well-Known Member

ahh, ok- well that makes more sense now!- cheers mate

so basically if it allows me to move it within the move to sd card option, it is going to work fine?!

its not going to give me the option to move it and then not work properly?!

6. SUroot

Well the developer of the app has added the functionality to move, so you would assunme it moves and still works, but you can never be 100% sure.

Of course if you mount your SD card in a PC, the app wont work t all.

erry likes this.
  7. erry

erry Well-Known Member

is there any need to have both the facebook applications?

facebook

and facebook for htc sense?

8. SUroot

Facebook is better I think, but havent had sense for a long time. I think its on the /system partition though, so it wont be taking up the "Internal Storage" you are running low on.

erry likes this.
  9. williamj1

williamj1 Android Enthusiast

As SuRoot said, I recommend using my guide. Link is in my signature below (2nd one about moving to sd).

I don't see why its a "dirty hack" though, as it's completely safe and a quick, easy way to get more storage.

10. SUroot

Its subverting how the standard operating system is working, but it does cause issues for people. After time it can go wrong and prevent people being able to install applications.

Its the equivelant of a registry hack, where you change the registry to force the operating system to do something else. Its basically exploiting a loophole.

Its not as elegant as a script for example.

11. williamj1

True, but if you haven't rooted, it is one of the few solutions out there, and its simple.

12. SUroot

I'm not denying that its one of the few solutions out there. I'm just voicing my opinion that i dont like it. I'm also fed up of helping the people in your thread who can't get it working ;)

13. williamj1

Haha :) I originally said in the OP that I would check back regularly to help out. I did this for the first month or so, but now i've just given up :p

14. SUroot

I help out now and then if I'm bored.

15. cammyhorne

cammyhorne Newbie

i had the same problem, i then removed adobe flash player as it was 11mb, since then i have 26mb free and there is no change on mky phone or internet (dolphin)

16. leeh1986

leeh1986 Lurker

rooty rooty :)

17. 1500cc

1500cc Member

How much space for apps do we have? I added all my apps up today and it came to about 110MB, plus I had 15MB free. I thought we had closer to 140. Or does the "manage applications" function not show everything?

18. SUroot

About 147 but there is app cache, app data, your system settings all in there

19. kaihoow88

kaihoow88 Lurker

hi, i just rooted my HTC Desire using unrevoked3. I didn't want to flash in any other ROMS. So can i still install apps to SD Card without using up the internal memory? Previously, i used the unroot method of installing apps into SD card but part of the apps still eats up my internal memory. I read that there is such thing call ROM Manager where you can partition your SD Card to trick the phone or something like that, but im not too sure on how to use it...

Oh ya, is a Rooted phone without flashing any other ROMS still better than the original ones? What are the advantages?

20. SUroot

Read the FAQ in my sig. Sigs only show one per page though sometimes though so you may have to scroll up to post #2 in this thread

21. kaihoow88

kaihoow88 Lurker

Thanks for the reply =) However, i dun know what sigs is. is there a link to your FAQ?? Thanks!

22. GrenW

GrenW Android Expert

Sigs is his signature - look below his first post on this thread.

kaihoow88 and SUroot like this.
  23. 1500cc

1500cc Member

I currently have a de-branded HTC Froyo ROM. I looked up your FAQs on rooting (great guide, BTW) and it seems pretty easy. If I rooted, would I be able to clear out any additional apps to get more space? There's a lot of stock HTC apps that I never use (e.g. Facebook, Footprints, etc.). Or can I somehow re-partition the space they allocate for apps?

24. spile

spile Android Enthusiast

It is also worth checking to see if you have the contacts memory bug. Check to see if your People app is much bigger than it should be.

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews