• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help internal space and sd card issues

erry

Jan 19, 2011
hi there

obviously it is known that the desire only has a small internal capacity- and i have just managed to fill mine up

BUT i have almost 7gb's free on my 8GB SD card-

What is the best way to get the phone to use the memory card for storage instead of trying to cram everything onto the internal memory?

cheers

erry

p.s. and what can i just go ahead and erase from the list of folders containing files when i open it uip on my pc?

do i need the HTC sync start up programme at 35 mb's? etc.

Well you can move parts of some apps using Manage applications "Move to sd" if you have froyo. But it doesnt save you much space.

There is a dirty hack to force "all" apps to SD, see the tips & Tricks sub forum for details (although not really recommended).

Then there is rooting and getting a rom with apps2sd+. Bit more comlicated, but best for space all round, but not without its risks. People shoudl really be familiar with their device (and teh associated risks) before going into this.

Reactions: erry
Upvote 0
i have gone down the list of installed apps and moved all the ones that i could move to the SD card

am i right in thinking it will only let you move them if its not going to affect them working- but it stops you moving them if it will cause problems?

and yeh- it only freed up 36mb's - but was still worth doing!

Upvote 0
Well, it has to be coded into the app by the developer to allow it to move.

You can circumvent this on an unrooted phone by changing the default install location, but some apps and all widgets will not work properly, so you will have to individually move these back.

See these threads for details:
http://androidforums.com/desire-tips-tricks/160560-force-apps-install-sd-without-root.html
http://androidforums.com/desire-tip...apps-sd-card-unrooted-device-noobs-guide.html

As I say, it is a dirty hack, so not ideal but may help a little.

Upvote 0
As SuRoot said, I recommend using my guide. Link is in my signature below (2nd one about moving to sd).

I don't see why its a "dirty hack" though, as it's completely safe and a quick, easy way to get more storage.

Its subverting how the standard operating system is working, but it does cause issues for people. After time it can go wrong and prevent people being able to install applications.

Its the equivelant of a registry hack, where you change the registry to force the operating system to do something else. Its basically exploiting a loophole.

Its not as elegant as a script for example.

Upvote 0
Its subverting how the standard operating system is working, but it does cause issues for people. After time it can go wrong and prevent people being able to install applications.

Its the equivelant of a registry hack, where you change the registry to force the operating system to do something else. Its basically exploiting a loophole.

Its not as elegant as a script for example.

True, but if you haven't rooted, it is one of the few solutions out there, and its simple.

Upvote 0
hi, i just rooted my HTC Desire using unrevoked3. I didn't want to flash in any other ROMS. So can i still install apps to SD Card without using up the internal memory? Previously, i used the unroot method of installing apps into SD card but part of the apps still eats up my internal memory. I read that there is such thing call ROM Manager where you can partition your SD Card to trick the phone or something like that, but im not too sure on how to use it...

Oh ya, is a Rooted phone without flashing any other ROMS still better than the original ones? What are the advantages?

Upvote 0
About 147 but there is app cache, app data, your system settings all in there

I currently have a de-branded HTC Froyo ROM. I looked up your FAQs on rooting (great guide, BTW) and it seems pretty easy. If I rooted, would I be able to clear out any additional apps to get more space? There's a lot of stock HTC apps that I never use (e.g. Facebook, Footprints, etc.). Or can I somehow re-partition the space they allocate for apps?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones