• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Internal storage corrupted

Dec 17, 2016
my mobile android version is 4.4.2 (kitkat). A few weeks ago its internal storage got corrupted saying "phone storage is damaged. try reformatting it". when i try to format, it doesn't gets format and again error pops up saying "damaged phone storage".
I performed hard reset and no success. then i flashed stock rom again and again same error after mobile boot up.
when i connect mob to pc, sometimes it shows unmounted memory. but sometimes it show the internal storage. In some cases when storage showed up, i tried to format it with FAT and the FAT32 but no success!
anyone has any idea what should i do?

I don't know, but if the storage has failed there's not a lot you can do. New can of course mean second hand. If it is a hardware failure the only repair possible would be a new motherboard (not cheap).

The problem with mounting on the PC is that the phone is almost certainly using MTP rather than USB Mass Storage, so formatting or running chkdisk over the USB connection won't work.

I don't suppose it's rooted? You might have more options if you had a custom recovery (e.g. may be able to mount the storage over usb). Again, nothing will help if it is hardware, so this is just on the hope that it isn't.

Upvote 0
Apologies for not elaborating the condition of mobile, mobile is rooted but since it's not popular one so it doesn't have custom rom. In the morning i tried Apps2sd (supports link2sd feature). i have no problem If i can get the alternative for storing whatsapp media and YouTube data on external sdcard. I can't install xposed installer since it requires internal storage for unpacking the package. second method was linking the folders but again since the internal memory is corrupted, i can't do anything again here.
note: internal storage and storage for apps is different in this mobile by default. So i can install apps but can't store their user data.
Here is the link for specifications.
http://www.whatmobilepricepakistan.com/vgotel/v7.html

Upvote 0
I think Mike's suggesting a full firmware reflash, if you can find the firmware and tools.

I thought you'd done that, but if it was just a ROM flash you did then there's a chance this would help.
can you kindly explain difference between rom and firmware.
what i got is :
"Rom= running system. i.e. windows or linux

Firmware= version. i.e. windows 7 or xp,etc."

but i can't get it means.

Upvote 0
Custom ROM is it, that could be something gone awry with the partitioning and storage with it, like it's corrupted, mounted read-only, etc. See about restoring the original manufacturer firmware, for information, tools and files you may need, you'll have to check with the manufacturer or their agents, unless it's on something like needrom.com
it isn't custom, it is manufacturer's stock rom. (obtained by backup of another mobile (same model and company)).

Upvote 0
The ROM is just the Android operating system, user interface and pre-installed apps. The full firmware includes all of the lower-level firmware that controls the various devices that make up the phone (the radios, usb controller, etc).

Not everybody makes the distinction, but if you just have a backup of the /system and /boot partitions that's only the ROM.

Upvote 0
The ROM is just the Android operating system, user interface and pre-installed apps. The full firmware includes all of the lower-level firmware that controls the various devices that make up the phone (the radios, usb controller, etc).

Not everybody makes the distinction, but if you just have a backup of the /system and /boot partitions that's only the ROM.
thanks for clarification!
So in other words i should give up.:(

Upvote 0
Well if you can find the official firmware and the tools for flashing it that may be worth a shot. Since that device isn't even sold in my country I've no experience of this.

With root it may be possible in principle to swap the mount points over so that the phone thinks that a partition on the SD card is the internal storage, but it's not something I've ever done and without a custom recovery will be risky.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones