• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Internal storage - get more space by combining scripts

Usta

Android Expert
Jul 8, 2010
The Netherlands
I've been using App2SD+ with DT script that moves the apk files and Dalvik cache to SD-EXT partition.
That is good up to some extent, but I wanted to squeeze more without jumping to custom MTD layouts. I noticed that certain apps have large lib files that still remain in the internal storage. This is where the script generated by Link2SD comes in handy.

Here is what I did:
* Use Hboot Alpharev Bravo CM7 table. This gives me 302MB space for /data.
* Then I flashed CM7 ROM. I was using GV, but this ROM (142MB) doesn't fit on CM7 /system partition (130MB). Similar small ROMs like Redux or Oxygen can be also used.
* Installed Simple2Ext script that takes care of moving apk files and Dalvik cache to SD-Ext partition.
* Installed Link2SD script and moved individually the largest lib files to SD-Ext partition.

So, what did this achieve?
Well, as you can see from Picture 1, I have 131 user apps + 83 system apps = 214 total apps. The important thing here is the number of user apps that I have installed myself on the phone: 131 apps.

On picture 2, you see a screenshot from Quick System Info, showing that I still have 260MB free internal storage!!! :) So, effectively I've left only 52MB data in the internal storage, which means that about 86% of the memory is still free.

On picture 3, you see Link2SD in action. Here I've moved only the lib files, because the apk and Dalvik portion is moved by Simple2ext script.

One thing to mention, is that this trick didn't work on GV ROM with DT script. I don't know if it was the ROM or the DT that caused an issue.

Picture 1: Titanium Backup
snap20110520091331.png

Picture 2: Quick System Info
snap20110520091208.png

Picture 2: Link2SD
snap20110520091232.png

Of course simple2ext only works on CM7, so have you tried this with other a2sd scripts?

I know you tried GV/DT...
No, this is just an observation that Link2SD works with CM7/S2Ext and not with GV/DT. I guess others can try with their ROMs/scripts to report their findings.
More on this script is at XDA: [App] Link2SD - xda-developers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones