1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Internal Storage issue - Can't work out what to do....

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rrr88, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Rrr88

Rrr88 Lurker
    None

Aug 1, 2011
    I know this is such a common problem, but I don't know how to solve it. The internal memory on my phone is ridiculous, it keeps saying "low on space", I delete a few things, then a day later it's back. The space just constantly decreases.

I have now deleted 95% of the apps I once had, except for some of the essentials which take up hardly any space anyway, e.g. the alarm. I have deleted all the emails in my trash folder. I just don't know what I can possibly do to free up more space.

My top 6 are: Facebook for htc sense 26mb
    facebook 25.82mb
    com.htc.socialnetwork.prov 19.35mb
    contacts storage 13mb
    maps 11.62
    internet 7.54mb
    contact storage 5.7mb

What can I get rid of?! I really don't want to root the phone....

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Looks like your social networking apps have a huge volume of data cached. You could try clearing that up. I can't provide app-specific advice as I have no social networking on my phone (guess I'm just not social?).

What's with "contacts storage" and "contact storage" being 2 separate items? Is this a Sense thing (been a long time since I used that)? Anyway, 13MB of contacts storage seems very large - it's possible that you have a lot of duplicates there, hidden by the linking of contacts. Try editing a few and see whether there are multiple copies of the information in there.

3. Rrr88

Rrr88 Lurker
    None

Aug 1, 2011
    Tried the cache trick but for the top 3 there is nothing in the cache.

Also, I meant dialer storage 5.7mb, not contacts, sorry!

4. Meh

Meh Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 22, 2009
    I would pick either Facebook for sense or facebook (Android) . You've got major duplication of memory and battery use there. Whichever you choose id still clear the app data.

5. Meh

Meh Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 22, 2009
    Basically it sounds like you are logged in to friend stream and Facebook. Pick one of them as they do the same and click clear app data on other.

6. Rrr88

Rrr88 Lurker
    None

Aug 1, 2011
    I do have Friendstream on my homescreen and am now realising it is taking up a large amount of memory...but which one is the correct data to wipe if I want to get rid of it?

7. AceMathias

AceMathias Well-Known Member
    None

May 25, 2010
    Personally i would wipe them, both with them taking up the size they are. Pre root the main facebook app would only be about 7mb the sense one about 5mb on mine.
    If you wipe them you will lose all current and past wall posts from your friend stream. But when you log back in again and refresh you should get the new ones coming in.

Your contacts size is rather large also, should only be about 6mb (depending on how many contacts you have). If they are google contacts then there is no harm in clearing data as you can restore them by refreshing your google account. The size will still shrink.
    Other contacts may be lost premanently, so either find a way to back them up or ensure that you create a google version for everyone.

Maps and internet sounds reasonable, so not much you can do with those. Maybe clear history on internet app in settings, but clearing data will lose your favourites, so you probably don't want to do that unless you back them up.

Hope this helps.

8. Meh

Meh Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 22, 2009

Its Facebook for HTC Sense.

It's good to clear the official one occasionally as it gets fat cos every time you look at friends photos etc it saves the albums and thumbnails. If you clear data it will log you out so you will have to log back in but it will repopulate your profile, wall, messages, and friends automatically.

9. easychord

easychord Newbie
    None

Aug 1, 2011
    this happened to me once, facebook for some reason swallowed about 25mb. I cleared the data and it didn't happen again.

10. StevenSeed

StevenSeed Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    Male
    Network Analyst
    South Yorkshire, UK
    I would recommend Friendcaster from the Market for Facebook as opposed to Friendstream. I found that I couldn't do much on Friendstream like poke/comment and get notifications, and I did have the problem of it taking up loads of memory, but Friendcaster doesn't seem to have that problem.

You can even use it to check in to places! :cool:

Tags: