1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Internal storage vs SD storage speed

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Newcomer, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Newcomer

Newcomer Lurker
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    So my question is, is there a significant difference in performance between a smartphone's internal storage and an SD? What are the pros and cons?

If it matters i'm asking because i'm thinking on buying Samsung Galaxy S 2 which offers 2 version, 16 GB and 32 GB of internal storage and was thinking of that will help me in the future.

P.S: I would watch podcasts and series on the smartphone if the battery can take it and surely a lot music as well.

Thanks

Advertisement

2. Guamguy

Guamguy Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    With the Galaxy S, no difference at all. They took an internal 16gb micro SD card, fixed it internally, then partition it between "internal phone memory" and "SD".

Newcomer likes this.
  3. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    What class? Not all SD cards are the same.

4. krouget

krouget Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 13, 2010
    I moved from a 16 to 32GB Class 4 card on my original Droid, and so far as performance differences between either card and internal storage were concerned, there were none noticeable.

The only major difference came from write speeds, when transferring files to the card, from the computer, but that's not really related to your question. The obvious pro is more space, which is pretty self-explanatory.

The other matter, is where you store apps. Anything that has widgets, is usually better placed on internal storage, and at least in my case, I preferred to also keep apps which ran on startup, there, given they are accessed first.

Newcomer likes this.