1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[International] A few simple questions on Galaxy Note 2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Adam3k3, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Adam3k3

Adam3k3 Lurker

Hi,

I recently switched to Galaxy Note 2 from iPhone 4s and its great so far but I cant figure a few stuff, Google did not answer.

I rooted the phone to increase its volume by replacing a file in the root directory. Now whenever I try to update the phone an error message appears saying: Your phone has been modified, cannot update.

Now Im thinking of downloading the update from samsung-updates.com. The thing is, as far as I know I have the UAE framware/update/rom as per my phone about tab.

I noticed that the Korean update gets released faster. Will downloading and updating the Korean update install fine on my phone? Will it unroot it? ? If so will it erase and replace my modified files in the root? And most importantly will I be able to update my phone normally again?

Sorry for the long questions but google did not help.

Edit: Is there away to backup the device like an iPhone via iTunes before I update?

Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. hstroph

hstroph Android Enthusiast

eyebeam likes this.
  3. eyebeam

eyebeam Extreme Android User

Great idea, hstroph. Thanks for the heads up.

Done.

4. srikat

srikat Member

Which method did you follow to increase the volume level? What is its URL? If it anything like http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1931970, you would be replacing a file in /system/etc, not in the root directory.

Now that you have rooted in my opinion that there is no point in doing OTA updates. There are many ROMs incl. one that is de-bloated that are based off the latest Android version available for this phone.

When you are switching ROMs it is generally recommended to do a full wipe (files in your internal memory like music will remain) which means that you will need to re-do the mods like the volume mod above.

Yes. In Android it is called NANDROID backup. There are several ways of doing it. One method is to do it using CWM or TWRP which are programs that run in recovery mode. Another is using the ToolKit.

5. Adam3k3

Adam3k3 Lurker

Thank you very much.

Yes I did replace a file in system/etc but I dont have the link now. So in your opinion its better to keep the root and manually update each time? How exactly do you do that?

Im trying to read as much as I can but I'm not getting most of the stuff as Im new.

Thanks again.

6. Shafan

Shafan Lurker

Hey....
    I just bought a 32 gb class 10 sandisk sd card and I want to move all the apps that I have downloaded on the external card. Is it possible and please do tell me the steps as well?
    One more thing is that, some of my friends told me mx player is the best out of all the apps in order to watch videos especially 720p or 1080p movies but I myself find the default player quite ok. Should I download mx player?.....kind of confused.....
    Thanks a lot

7. srikat

srikat Member

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2036796

If you do not need a app, you don't have to download it. That said, you wouldn't know what you are missing unless you try. So try it once and if you don't like it, you can always uninstall it.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 release date was September 2012. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 3100mAh battery.

September 2012
Release Date
Reviews