• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] About Rooting the moto G

Morgiee

Lurker
Jan 3, 2014
Hi there this is my first android phone and on the Moto G under settings the tab applications is not these so i cant access and tick unknown sources. Has this option been removed now? also if so im wanting to install downloaded free apk files but iv'e heard i need to root the phone for this to work. If i root it can i backup my original phone firmware so that if i want it restoring back to factory firmware i can?

Thanks

This is fantastic, thanks, ok before i proceed this does void your warranty, meaning if the phone get sent back to Motorola with the rooted fw on its void, would i be able to backup my current stock fw onto my pc to keep safe, that way if my phone breaks and i need to send it off i can remove and re install my original stock fw?

And once rooted will phone calls, texts and data usage still work the same?

Thanks known about rooting before but never done one so not really looked into it too much to know the answers to these

Thanks

Upvote 0
This is fantastic, thanks, ok before i proceed this does void your warranty, meaning if the phone get sent back to Motorola with the rooted fw on its void, would i be able to backup my current stock fw onto my pc to keep safe, that way if my phone breaks and i need to send it off i can remove and re install my original stock fw?

Thanks known about rooting before but never done one so not really looked into it too much to know the answers to these

Thanks

Yes, it does void the warranty, here in the US. From things I've read, overseas it seems that warranty can't be voided for physical manufacturer defects (bad pixels on the screen, wifi radio never turns on, and so on) by rooting it.

Now, once rooted, and once the custom recoveries are usable (they are working on 2 of 'em at the moment (ClockworkMod and TWRP (team win recovery project)) on the XDA forums that aren't, in my conservative opinion, ready for every day use) you'll be able to make backups of your ROM and save them to your computer.

I've been watching the forums over there and keeping an eye on the progress of both recoveries (although I'm more interested in CWM 'cause I purchased the pro version of ROM Manager and I'm sure that once CWM is workable it'll be officially supported by ROM Manager). A good custom recovery is vital to flashing ROM's new kernels and other mods (as well as making backups).

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply really helpful information is their a tutorial on here showing you how to backup your current stock ROM and then transferring it to your PC? For warranty purposes so I can flash it back if their is a problem. And then once I have a solid backup I can look into custom ROMs thanks.

Upvote 0

Thanks
No because once u unlock the phone they now know u voided ur warrantee cause it has been documented that u have in their system that's what the whole unlocking n going through their website is about it warns u in the beginning middle end so u do it you are basically registering through them that you want and agree to have a unlocked no warrantee on ur phone and by going through that u agree to it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones