• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Adam kernel

Sydney99

Android Expert
Jul 7, 2011
UK
I'm sure most of you have seen this, if you haven't, it's a kernel that works for I9505 and "is built from Samsung sources update2, Rooted with the latest SuperSu, the main goal of this kernel is to keep it close to stock with a few improvements".

It's basically like stock, with a few tweaks, and the ability to make some changes in STweaks.....ie swapping governor and i/o scheduler.

Features:
Built from Samsung sources Update2
Init.d support
Busybox (/sbin)
Built with Stock ARM Toolchain 4.6
AutoRoot with SuperSU (If Not Rooted)
NFS built-in kernel
CIFSand NTFS File System built as modules (Stored on "/lib/modules")
ExFAT sdcard support
Stweak App support
Disabled Wifi multicast for lower battery drain (Thanks to Entropy512 and GokhanMoral)
Tweaked Ondemand CPU Governor for better performance/power balance
Enabled available stock CPU governors (conservative, powersave,interactive)
Disabled Android Logger
Android Logger switch trough Stweaks App (No Reboot required)
Disabled some useless tracers
improved Ondemand CPU Governor tweaks for faster response
Increased timeout for some bad sdcards

Not sure yet if it really makes much difference to our already impressive phones (!), but works with DJembey rom (and all other 4.2.2 roms apparently), is stable, and over the past 24hrs is working glitch free.

Latest version is 1.5 (not the 1.4 as posted on XDA): WanamLite XXUBMGA V1.4 Android JB 4.2.2 Clean & Stable -

Download zip and flash through your recovery.....

Cheers Syd old boy!
I was pondering this yesterday, but got sidetracked and completely forgot about it. (I probably saw a big pair of bahooomas somewhare) :)

I've heard through the grapevine that contrary to the S2, on the S4, what works for you will work for most, so I might give this a pop!

Btw, does this replace the CWM recovery, as I have Philz at the moment.

Upvote 0
To be honest Hawker, I preferred it when Syd had the KoD.

We could just sit back and let him flash a kernel, ROM, modem, etc; and see if it worked for him or not... if it didn't, we knew it was safe for us to flash!

Well Syd, be it upon your head old stick! I have gone ahead, after the usual precautions, and flashed it.

Up until now I have been more than happy with the stock, CF-Root, kernel on the i9505 which has given flawless performance for me with great battery life on DjeMBeY stock modified, (LITE), ROM and Power saving enabled with, if I really needed some extra juice, the Energy Saver from the MG3, Brazilian, firmware.

From what I can see, all the main tweaks are built-in to the kernel and non configurable via STweaks. Unlike, say, the Dorimanx kernel which ran to about 12 screens of various STweaks, this kernel offers 3.

Screen 1 is changing the governor, DVFS and sampling.

Screen 2 is just an Android Logger toggle ON/OFF.

Screen 3 is for changing the I/O scheduler and Read Ahead.

No under/over volting or clocking.

Will give it a few days to see how it goes.

Upvote 0
Oooh, it's just like old times on here :)

Know what you mean though. The phone is already so good with stock kernel that don't really need modified versions.

I just can't resist the temptation though.....

Gonna stick with this and give it several days to bed in and see how it goes, then plan to try this baby http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2342298 which does allow a lot more tweaks and fiddling of villages etc.....

Edit: voltages not villages!

Upvote 0
After several days of testing, I can report back that this kernel makes absolutley NO difference (positive or negative) to my phone, battery or performance wise, compared to stock......no surprises I guess.

But in the true spirit of syd the sloth, I now have the audism kernel installed which allows much more tweaking.....will report back chaps

Upvote 0
After several days of testing, I can report back that this kernel makes absolutley NO difference (positive or negative) to my phone, battery or performance wise, compared to stock......no surprises I guess.

As you say Syd... no surprise really. The only things that are configurable on the Adam kernel are really the governor and scheduler and unlike the SGSII for instance, the S4 that has been de-bloated and on auto brightness and Power Saving will save more battery than any tweaked kernel. Also, we do not have to rely on a custom kernel to give us LED notification.

But in the true spirit of syd the sloth, I now have the audism kernel installed which allows much more tweaking.....will report back chaps

That's the ticket old son... that saying about angels fearing to tread springs to mind. ;)

Look forward to your report.

Upvote 0
I've just flashed the v1.6 Knox removed version, after a Kernel wipe with Hawker's script. It is nice to see options in sTweaks again. Leaving everything untouched for now, I'll report back in a few days time with any anomalies and then may experiment a bit.

EDIT:

So far I can confirm Philz recovery is still on device and working as it should, just done a Nandrioid.

Upvote 0
Adam is the best kernel also the wanam rom is the best

Hello and welcome to Android Forums isdroid!

I am afraid I did not find the Adam kernel any better than the stock kernel that comes with the DjeMBeY ROM.

I installed the Adam kernel some two weeks ago and was about to post my review when Dynorod said he had installed it and I did not wish to influence his findings.

I ran the Adam kernel for about 4 days and in the end I uninstalled it as I found, for me, that it was not as battery friendly as stock, either using the default settings or by playing around with the limited options in STweaks.

Upvote 0
Reporting back on it. Saving battery with it's limited settings in STweaks had little noticeable affect and made my SGS4 rather laggy, particularly on long saved videos, that would often stutter. Boosting up to the extreme made my phone run hot and literally eat battery, so much so that using Sygic to navigate at work for work with it plugged into the battery charger still wasn't enough to keep it from losing charge, and I had no discernable performance improvements. I purposely did not bench mark or take measurements of anything, because they mean not a jot, it's how the phone behaves that matters in the real world that counts.

So I'm still running it on standard settings, no problems with it there, so no point in going back.

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
off -topic

how do I flash a kernel ?

put it into the external card and use Recovery or

use Odin ?

Most custom kernels are in CWM .zip format and are flashed via custom recovery, such as PhilZ, after removing any vestiges of the previous kernel, (initd scripts, scripts, etc: ). I use Hawker's Core and KernelWipe scripts for this.

However, if you have a GT-i9505, quad core, phone variant and are on firmware version MGG or later, flashing a custom kernel will trip your Knox flag and void your warranty. See, http://androidforums.com/internatio...security-locked-bootloader-new-firmwares.html.

Upvote 0
the kernel is

KERNEL-XSP-I9500XXUEMJ8-1382361990.tar

Odin ?

Do you mean you have a stock Samsung, unrooted, MJ8 kernel or you want to flash a stock, unrooted, Samsung kernel?

MJ8 is only for Android 4.3, MJ8 firmware and is post, (after), MGG and is Knox enabled. Therefore if you are rooted and have a custom recovery on this firmware, you've already blown your Knox flag and warranty. See #1.4 of http://androidforums.com/internatio...security-locked-bootloader-new-firmwares.html to check.

Odin flashable custom, not stock, kernel .tar files will also blow the Knox flag with the, "possible", exception of CF-Root which is a stock rooted kernel. However, you will not be able to install a custom ROM or recovery afterwards without blowing the Knox flag as explained in the link.

Upvote 0
I remembered when I flashed my i9500 from 4.1.2 to 4.3, after the flashing was completed I was given the option to install Knox but I simply choose to ignore it since the firmware was not for my region. I estimate that it will take another 2 months for Samsung to release 4.3 for my region lol and maybe another 4 months for my N7100

I came across the kernel which is nearer to me than the firmware and thinking of updating the firmware to remove the firmware's unwanted application (in Russian, which I can only disabled but not removed) I figured that I would rather have bloatware in a language that I understand

I intend to flash the S4 when I can get my hands on Android KitKat; I am not worried with Samsung's warranty

I have another i9500 which is running 4.1.2 and instead of flashing it to 4.3 I simply update the kernel

Upvote 0
I remembered when I flashed my i9500 from 4.1.2 to 4.3, after the flashing was completed I was given the option to install Knox but I simply choose to ignore it since the firmware was not for my region. I estimate that it will take another 2 months for Samsung to release 4.3 for my region lol and maybe another 4 months for my N7100

I came across the kernel which is nearer to me than the firmware and thinking of updating the firmware to remove the firmware's unwanted application (in Russian, which I can only disabled but not removed) I figured that I would rather have bloatware in a language that I understand

I intend to flash the S4 when I can get my hands on Android KitKat; I am not worried with Samsung's warranty

I have another i9500 which is running 4.1.2 and instead of flashing it to 4.3 I simply update the kernel

If you are on stock 4.3 then your firmware has Knox whether you enabled it or not. Check in download.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones