• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] AOSPA & Custom Recovery - Help me get up to date!

andy9l

Sep 22, 2012
UK
Basically I'm way out of date, which is unlike me. I'm on WanamLite 5.8, which came out several months ago, and CWM Touch 6.0.2.7. Yep, really outdated.

I'd like to try an AOSP style ROM, and found Paranoid Android http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1745003

1. Is this any good? Any significant problems?

2. Also, what's the best recovery these days? Latest Philz?

3. When installing a new recovery, I can use my current to flash it, correct?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Heres the link mate http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2240137 aparently its two devs from Slim and Liquid Smooth building it from Slim Bean or something. It has Halo, Pie, Dark UI, Privacy Guard etc, most of the features from all the current roms but i think its the kernel that makes it so nice. It isnt overclocable but feels overclocked when u use it :beer:

Reactions: andy9l
Upvote 0
Morning matey.

So, I spent some time looking at Illusion and it looks good. If you say it's worth trying, I'm happy to give it a shot!

Just a few things before I end up bricking this beast...

1. I've got Titanium Backup and have batch backed-up my user apps. TiBackup offers a 'Create update.zip' option for backed up apps. Can I use this, then just flash the .zip through recovery after flashing my new ROM? It seems fast. I would obviously check that the ROM works clean first!

2. Is this the correct order for getting this update sorted:

- Save ROM, GApps and latest Philz to sdcard
- Make a Nandroid now!
- Flash latest Philz (via CWM Touch)
- Reboot into recovery (now Philz, not CWM Touch)
- Wipe data/Factory reset
- Wipe dalvik/cachce
- Flash ROM, then GApps
- Reboot to check we're all good
- Flash update.zip containing all my TiBackup user apps

Thanks in advance :)

Upvote 0
Morning matey.

So, I spent some time looking at Illusion and it looks good. If you say it's worth trying, I'm happy to give it a shot!

Just a few things before I end up bricking this beast...

1. I've got Titanium Backup and have batch backed-up my user apps. TiBackup offers a 'Create update.zip' option for backed up apps. Can I use this, then just flash the .zip through recovery after flashing my new ROM? It seems fast. I would obviously check that the ROM works clean first!

2. Is this the correct order for getting this update sorted:

- Save ROM, GApps and latest Philz to sdcard
- Make a Nandroid now!
- Flash latest Philz (via CWM Touch)
- Reboot into recovery (now Philz, not CWM Touch)
- Wipe data/Factory reset
- Wipe dalvik/cachce
- Flash ROM, then GApps
- Reboot to check we're all good
- Flash update.zip containing all my TiBackup user apps

Thanks in advance :)

1. The update.zip that Titanium allows you to create isn't a backup of your apps. It is a copy of Titanium that you can flash from recovery - in case, for instance, you had no internet access and could not download Titanium from the Play Store, you can flash it from recovery and then restore all your apps and data from sdcard once you have rebooted your phone.

2. That all sounds good; but as I mentioned you don't need to flash update.zip if you have flashed gapps and have internet access as you can download Titanium from Play Store and then restore everything from your sdcard. Nothing wrong with flashing update.zip however - it would save a bit of time. :)

Upvote 0
Well I had a problem installing, my fault of course! Luckily the devs saved me on this one by preventing the install of an AT&T ROM on my i9300! Rare for me to make mistakes like that, but I got lucky this time. Ended up just downloading the correct i9300 on to my SD card and going from there in PhilZ. Worked perfectly.

Thanks for recommending this ROM. Honestly haven't had this much enjoyment out of my phone for months. So many features I've been unaware of for months! I got too settled on 4.1.2, I didn't realise how easy it was to restore my apps with TiBu/Google.

Glad I made the jump, and glad you recommended Illusion to me. It's the first night of course, so we'll see how it goes over the next week - but I've had zero problems so far under very heavy usage. Fully recommend the ROM to others.

Not sure I'm a fan of Halo/PIE, but I'll try to get myself onto it!

Edit: The animations are amazing (not sure if this is ROM/kernel related). No matter how hard you push it, the animations stay smooth - dare I say it, as smooth as iOS.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Lol nice one man glad you like it. Are you using the kernel that came with it? The kernel does seem pretty special.
Yeah i played with halo n pie but ended up disabling them.
Have u put a theme on it yet?
I also like the Dark UI option to make the google apps black :)

Yeah the stock kernel that comes with Illusion. Not even sure what it is, but it's very good.

I'm getting quite poor battery life with 'Android OS' taking up a good portion of it - more than 'Screen' which is worrying. I'll look out for future updates. It's not awful though, I'm at 60% at 11 hours.

I love the Vanilla Android look, so no special themes installed at the moment. That said, I've spent a lot of time in the ROM interface settings and have got everything just as I want. Love it.

Thanks again mate, excellent recommendation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones