1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root [International] Backup carrier's recovery before flashing CWM

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by my1stSmartPhone, Dec 15, 2014.

1. my1stSmartPhone

my1stSmartPhone Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 7, 2014
    I'm trying to backup my entire 1st generation Moto G before doing anything like rooting or flashing CWM or CyanogenMod. From googling, it should be possible by booting from CWM without flashing it. I've had no success:

> $ fastboot.exe boot recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.7-falcon.img
    > downloading 'boot.img'...
    > OKAY [ 0.300s]
    > booting...
    > OKAY [ 0.240s]
    > finished. total time: 0.540s

I unlocked the bootloader and tried the above with fastboot and mfastboot, from a CMD prompt in an account with Administrator privileges, and invoked with As Administrator. All that happened was that the device rebooted as normal. Not that for this to work, I had to copy all the DLL files from XDA's adb/fastboot folder tree into the directory with the CWM image.

Given that this doesn't work, is there any other way to backup the carrier-provided recovery before flashing CWM? Or can CWM be flashed to the devices (and booted) without clobbering the carrier's recovery? I don't mean the OS, I mean the recovery itself. Thanks.

Advertisement

#1 my1stSmartPhone, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014

Motorola Moto G (1st Gen)

The first generation Moto G was the released in November of 2013. The phone was the first in Motorola's new mid-range line that targeted the sweet spot between specs and pricing. It originally built for emerging markets, but also saw success as a low-priced Android phone option in other parts of the world. The Moto G 1st Gen features Features 4.5-inch LCD display, Snapdragon 400 processor, 16GB storage, 1GB RAM. 5MP rear/1.3MP front facing cameras, and a removable 2,070 mAh battery.