1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[International] best s3 only rom?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dan55, Sep 8, 2013.

1. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

hi guys,

im often finding that the poor ol' s3 gets left behind the newer devices when it comes to rom releases :( :D

...so was wondering is there a good s3 only rom out there?

thanks
    dan

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

When you say S3 only, do you mean smaller Dev teams that only work on 1 device?

Any ROM based on your stock touchwiz will be "S3" only, its when you get into the AOSP Roms that you have the larger Dev teams spitting out Roms for large numbers of devices.

Can you tell us what else you're looking for in a ROM? I'm sure we could make some recommendations based on that.

3. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

hi Rxpert83,

thanks for the quick reply - yes sorry for my slightly vague post :D

yes im meaning small devs just for the s3 ... but im definitely not a fan of TW - i normally go for the aokp style roms, but most of these are starting off their 4.3 work, or have died in some cases - and tend to focus on n4 s4 g7 etc

i really lke the navbar :D i know it is sad, but i do ..... or at least pie - as i dont like the home button action

thanks
    dan

Rxpert83 likes this.
  4. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Even the newer phones don't have 4.3 all the way working and stable yet. Its only been out a few months.

I actually kind of feel bad for the devs, because in about another month android 4.4 gets released and they'll have to start all over :eek:

That may be why you perceive a lack of development at the moment... They could just be waiting for the next one. Hard to say.

The smaller Dev teams usually base their work off of CM. So if development for that is lacking, its going to slow everything down.

I have the Sprint version of this phone, so I'll hold off on specific recommendations since the Roms are different.

I'm confident someone else will see this and be able to chime in for ya :)

dan55 likes this.
  5. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender

Just to throw in a couple of recommendations for you, I've ran these over the last couple weeks and they seem pretty stable in my opinion and all are 4.3

Illusion
    Eclipse
    Slim Bean
    PACman

They all have their fair share of small bugs, but it's nothing big enough that you can't use for a daily.

Any aosp you'll have bugs regardless :)

dan55 likes this.
  6. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

thanks for the ideas DS,

ive not seen eclipse - but will have a search for it - some peeps were reporting call sound issues on slimbean - but am still interested to give it a try i think

im sort of holding off going 4.3, as it is all very new - plus im still jumping back to a 4.1.2 rom some of the time :D

cheers
    dan

DragonSlayer95 likes this.
  7. DragonSlayer95

I'm not entirely sure if eclipse is on international but I believe that it is.

I'm on the sprint version myself but I didn't face really many bugs when I was on slim, didn't have the call issue either.

I only ran it for a day though mainly because I just can't get use to the low dpi :p

8. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

:D ok thanks - doesnt slim allow user dpi settings then ? :/

9. DragonSlayer95

It does but it's a pain to do it for each app/setting :p

And I'm just lazy :D

10. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

:-D ah ok I see. on other roms I've tried you could also change dpi groups of apps which worked well

11. DragonSlayer95

I haven't noticed that but I rarely messed around with changing dpi except for a couple apps.

12. DragonSlayer95

Edit, I flashed the newest slim, no per app dpi only entire system dpi. Xposed needed.

funkylogik and dan55 like this.
  13. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

Ok thanks. I'm on illusion now, so that is the same. Seems nice over all though

14. DragonSlayer95

Transitions is what I loved about illusion, roundabout too I think its called.

15. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

RoundR :D (only in the 4.3 version but you can get it free from Play)

DragonSlayer95 likes this.
  16. DragonSlayer95

17. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

seems to have it on this one too. also had them in root box. make me ill at first :-D

18. funkylogik

I usually set animations/transitions to off on 4.3 roms but just set them at x1 and theyre cool as **** :)
    Ah maybe roundr was there on 2.1 but i didnt notice it because it was off by default on that one. How you finding the rom speed-wise mate?

19. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

speed seems good in general. there is a bit of a delay waking the device though

20. DragonSlayer95

On tw ROMs I'll set all animations to 0.5, seems to run smoother that way. I like my animations too much to completely turn them off though :p

21. funkylogik

Yeah ive noticed that but i was blaming nova. What launcher you on mate?

22. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

Nova :-D

was thinking that changing cpu min speed might help, but can't seem to set it

funkylogik likes this.
  23. funkylogik

Using the performance settings? Theyre broken on the i9300 mate. Use a 3rd party cpu app.
    Are you on official Nova or are u beta testing? Im on beta so i cant really complain to tesla or ramsey lol :beer:

dan55 likes this.
  24. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

yeah I'm Nova beta too

25. Jon_LTD

Jon_LTD Android Expert

Hey Dan, I thought you'd like the PAC Man rom as it's got the benefits of cyanogen, AOKP and Paranoid Android and not a bit of touchwiz to be seen!
    I'm currently using it as my daily driver and its not given me any issues! No FC's it crashes and surprisingly nippy. I thought it had the potential to be sluggish and bloated but I'm pleasantly surprised.

Hope all is good man!

dan55 likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews