• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] bums :-(

sntaylor

Android Expert
Jan 20, 2012
Ayrshire, scotland
Earlier,or last night,I can't remember....but my phone said "usb connector connected"when it was started....musta been this morning actually because I've just gone to try and plug it into my charger and it does nothing :-( tried a restart and it said "usb connector connected"on restart again....still won't connect to the charger :-(I'm fearing its the internal connector, what do you guys think? Not sure how I'd get it back to stock if I can't connect it to the computer :-(

1. Above all else... conserve what battery you have left on your phone.

2. Download your stock firmware onto PC and copy it onto external SD card using a USB reader.

3. Download Mobile Odin to phone.

4. Are you running Triangle Away?

Back home soon!

Update Back now. My gut feeling is that it may be a hardware fault. See, here. Either way, with limited battery, your first priority must be to get back to stock before trying anything else.

Reactions: sntaylor
Upvote 0
Thank you guys, that's the kinda thinking I needed.lol

not worried about battery life right now as I have spare battery pack anker with charging dock so I'm fine that way.

I shall however be reverting straight back to stock tonight, and phone phones 4u tomorrow :-( I'm sure you can still get mobile Odin free on xda, so I'll have a look, otherwise I'll reply back to you later ironass thanks :) will let you guys know how I get on later tonight :) cheers again!

Upvote 0
not worried about battery life right now as I have spare battery pack anker with charging dock so I'm fine that way.

NOW... he tells us Syd! Panic over. :rolleyes:

In that case, try disabling and re-enabling USB debugging and see if that helps. Failing that, just flashing to stock, "could", solve your problem if not hardware related.

Upvote 0
My guess is that it's hardware because of the way it happened so suddenly....going to chance my luck asking to get a brand new phone, but unfortunately I doubt it will happen and they will send it away for about two weeks and if I'm lucky they will give me some wee crapper of a phone.....just as the Mrs phone is playing up and she has decided that she'd quite like to use my s2 after all.lol

I'll give the usb debugging trick a go when I'm home too :) have asked the Mrs to put my extra spare in the charger for when I'm home :)

Upvote 0
Ok....couldn't get flashing the proper files for Odin lite so decided to buy pro, which chain fire deserves to be fair!

Managed to flash triangle away so reset counter from 3...flashed stock that I had before rooting etc using mobile Odin pro, it appears to have worked ok with one exception...I still have philz recovery :-s

Not only that, but my Wi-Fi isn't working either and it keeps giving me an error message when I try to turn Wi-Fi on.... PREVENTION INFORMATION - the device has detected an application attempting an unpermitted actions and has stopped loading.to protect your device, it is recommended you reboot...... when I click the message it gives the option to reboot now or later, hit now and it reboots into philz recovery! Hit reboot in recovery and it asks if you want to root using the recovery!

Not quite sure how to get stock recovery back.

Also called phones 4u I bought it from and because I didn't buy their care plan pish and it's more than 28 days old, they will have to send it away for repair rather than give me a new phone :-( lucky I never threw out the normal SIM sized case thing you pop the micro SIM from, so I can still use my SIM in my s2 as they don't provide you with a cover phone! :-(

Upvote 0
Managed to flash triangle away so reset counter from 3...flashed stock that I had before rooting etc using mobile Odin pro, it appears to have worked ok with one exception...I still have philz recovery :-s

Rats! that because Mobile Odin needs the custom recovery to operate.

Not only that, but my Wi-Fi isn't working either and it keeps giving me an error message when I try to turn Wi-Fi on.... PREVENTION INFORMATION - the device has detected an application attempting an unpermitted actions and has stopped loading.to protect your device, it is recommended you reboot...... when I click the message it gives the option to reboot now or later, hit now and it reboots into philz recovery! Hit reboot in recovery and it asks if you want to root using the recovery!

Just a thought but have you got, "Verify apps via USB", turned on in Developer options. Does that make a difference? IIRC you flashed a separate Wi-Fi mod at some stage.

Not quite sure how to get stock recovery back.

The only way to get stock recovery is by flashing with PC, Odin. I was rather hoping that flashing to stock with Mobile Odin may have solved your USB connection problem.

Upvote 0
Sadly it appears to be a hardware problem, which means to me that if I take it in for repair, it shouldn't matter if my software isn't completely stock as it has bugger all to do with what Rom I'm running! I'll shall get it back to proper Samsung stock before taking it in(currently on Google editionand it's running quite well, every cloud and all that....) and I'll see what they say after it gets sent off...Cheers again for your help though peeps :)

Upvote 0
Sadly it appears to be a hardware problem, which means to me that if I take it in for repair, it shouldn't matter if my software isn't completely stock as it has bugger all to do with what Rom I'm running! I'll shall get it back to proper Samsung stock before taking it in(currently on Google editionand it's running quite well, every cloud and all that....) and I'll see what they say after it gets sent off...Cheers again for your help though peeps :)

Need an unlike button for that! Good luck......

Upvote 0
Need an unlike button for that! Good luck......

could like it then.....lol

Like I said, think I'm going to chance it that they will fix it for me, half the guys probably don't even know about rooting etc my cousin and uncle work in an electronics factory fixing satnavs and other things(maybe my phone? Lol) and they don't have a clue about that kind of thing. Provided it all looks stock(guessing not nexus stock....) they probably won't even check the recovery or flash counter! But I'll just need to wait and see, worst case they send it back to me unfixed....I may be taking pictures of my son in the bath soon ehem

Upvote 0
Hmmm, it possibly is a software problem of some sort, or are the charger and usb data connectors different? I did a soft brick mucking about with it trying flashing variety of things and tried a Wi-Fi fix using mobile Odin(this is what soft bricked it) I could only get into download mode....broken usb meant I was knackered, then while it was switched off I thought I'd see what it would do if u plugged it in to the charger...it came on with the wee symbol! Do stupidly at 1am I've fired up the laptop and have managed to connect it to Odin on the computer!I haven't a clue how or why! But I'm happy to report it passed and has successfully flashed pre rooted mf5! I don't know what has been wrong! I have since tried connecting to a charger unsuccessfullly so clearly there is a problem but at least I might be able to flash stock recovery :) of course if I claim through insurance I'll get it back quicker.lol but it will cost

Upvote 0
Flashing the pre rooted mf5 gave me stock recovery....phone wrong connect to charger and won't connect to the computer through the cable unless in download mode.clearly there is an issue with it....I kinda need to do a full wipe and try flashing it again....I need to get the stock Rom I downloaded last night from my phone onto the computer first.....

Upvote 0
Ok it keeps getting stranger and stranger! After I flashed the stock mdf that the phone came with, it, within a few minutes asked to do a software upgrade to mdm so I let it. Now on mdf it wouldn't be recognised in the laptop or with the charger....so I let it upgrade and headed to bed, in bed I decided to try plugging it in to charge and it worked! I mean come on wtf...it is now sitting completely stock, it may have a flash counter as mf5 pre rooted and mdf have both been flashed, on boot it has several failures(Gmail,s health just to name a few!) I've not had a proper play about with it otherwise!

Upvote 0
Did a factory reset and everything is working fine for now :) :-\ how I have no idea....I think I'll keep it stock for a while, who knows how long though.lol, and see if it comes up with the same issue again or not before deciding to take it back to the shop :)

IWanna root though :-(I didn't have it stock for this long when I first got it! I'm also now fearing that I've taken the sloths mantel from him! It's me that's going to get the kod these days :'(

Reactions: Sydney99
Upvote 0
Did a factory reset and everything is working fine for now :) :-\ how I have no idea....I think I'll keep it stock for a while, who knows how long though.lol, and see if it comes up with the same issue again or not before deciding to take it back to the shop :)

IWanna root though :-(I didn't have it stock for this long when I first got it! I'm also now fearing that I've taken the sloths mantel from him! It's me that's going to get the kod these days :'(

Wouldn't wish that on anyone

Upvote 0
Well unfortunately I've just been a walk with the dog, battery is down at 75% (it's dropped quicker on mdm than ever before!) And I thought I'd check if it's still charging....it's not! But at least I'm back all on stock even if my flash counter isn't zero so assuming I have time today before work(taking the boy to his swimming class, yes even at 5 months old! Lol) then I'll pop into the shop, if not it'll be tomorrow :-(

Upvote 0
Quick update....I'm not taking it back to the shop till next week now as I kinda want tip continue using it etc however the strangeness doesn't stop....yesterday afternoon it wouldn't connect to charger, but last night it did! Then this morning around ten minutes after being disconnected from the charger,I had the phone in my pocket with screen off when I heard a noise, upon inspection it had gone into docking mode in my pocket, whilst I was standing still at that! It's really getting rather weird and I hate not being rooted! Lol

Upvote 0
Yeah I believe so too, unfortunately when I take it back to the shop(it's 20 miles away) they won't give me any kind of replacement apparently, then there is the issue on how long they will have it for...to me it's not good enough! Besides I half expect them just to factory reset it the first time and claim it's sorted, especially if it decides to work during their preliminary tests!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones