• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Busybox

ATT HTC one will not let me install Busybox. I just completed a root. I assume it worked properly. I was able to get install superSU without any problems and got my phone on as normal.

I tried to install Busybox about four times. The first two times, I tried to install it via system/xbin. First, I let it finish the "smart install." Second, I tried without letting it finish. It would say "failed" or it would crash my phone. I tried again using system/bin and it crashed my phone. I then tried installing titanium backup root version; it would not install. I received two different errors. The first one said it failed; the second one said something file -24. My phone somehow ended up turned off. I tried to turn it back on, but got flashing home and back buttons. I pressed the on button for a few seconds until the buttons stopped flashing, and it turned back on again.

What's going on here??? This is really strange considering my root process went seamlessly. I'd really like to use busybox to get some of the bloatware off my phone. ATT has really done a wonderful job shoving 20+ apps in my face. They are constantly popping up asking me if I want to share something; I don't!

You don't really need busybox to get rid of bloat. However,you've just discovered one of the disadvantages of trying to mod an s on phone. While your running a stock kernel,you can not make any changes to /system from the booted OS.

You can install busybox,use an app such as titanium backup to remove bloat,or make other /system modifications if you change your phones securities to s off,or if you install a custom kernel that has the system write protection removed. :)

Reactions: sharksfan7
Upvote 0
I haven't managed to install titanium backup either. Google play gives an error each time I try.

Their are many steps to rooting this phone how far along are you

unlock bootloader @htcdev
flash TWRP recovery
install root from TWRP recovery
http://download.chainfire.eu/396/SuperSU

if you have done all these steps
all your missing is a custom kernel
try bulletproof or ElementalX
[KERNEL] [June 4] ElementalX - xda-developers

and just so you know you can disable nearly all the AT&T stuff from Settings / Apps / all ...without root
just choose the app then choose disable

Upvote 0
Their are many steps to rooting this phone how far along are you

unlock bootloader @htcdev
flash TWRP recovery
install root from TWRP recovery
SuperSU Download

if you have done all these steps
all your missing is a custom kernel
try bulletproof or ElementalX
[KERNEL] [June 4] ElementalX - xda-developers

and just so you know you can disable nearly all the AT&T stuff from Settings / Apps / all ...without root
just choose the app then choose disable

Thanks. I am currently rooted, my bootloader is unlocked. The only thing I have not done (and probably won't do) is get S-OFF.

Surprisingly, miraculously, I got titanium to download last night. I went through the steps to remove all bloatware apps via titanium; but guess what? When I restart my phone, all bloatware apps return. Titanium does not permanently remove these apps, it seems.

I have tried to install two ROMs since then. I prefer CM ROMs (used them on all my older HTC phones), but it doesn't seem like I can find a stable CM ROM. I've tried 10.2 and 11. CM 10.2 was installed successfully, but I was left with a keyboard issue/bug, which seems odd considering I keep reading people say this version is stable. I had to get it off because I need to be able to type. I tried CM 11 next, but the install failed three times. So for now, I'm still on stock.. with all the bloatware..... going insane.

I know I can disable them, but they take up a fair amount of space (not sure exactly how much, but there's so many of them, I imagine it's got to be at least 1 gig or 2); and just having to look at the icons in my apps really bothers me. I can't feel like my phone is truly mine with all this junk on it!

Upvote 0
I know I can disable them, but they take up a fair amount of space (not sure exactly how much, but there's so many of them, I imagine it's got to be at least 1 gig or 2); and just having to look at the icons in my apps really bothers me. I can't feel like my phone is truly mine with all this junk on it!

Disabling them removes them from the app drawer ;)
and they take less that 30mb of space total.

it you really want to debloat use the kernel I posted above and a root explorer and remove all the different language files and the car / speak app ... thats about 400mb in savings

All of this can be removed - 480MB
ATT_AddressBook_SyncMLProvider.apk
ATT_AddressBook_SyncMLService.apk
ATT_Amazon_Kindle.apk
ATT_CityID.apk
ATT_CodeScanner.apk
ATT_DriveMode.apk
ATT_FamilyMap.apk
ATT_Games.apk
ATT_HotSpot.apk
ATT_Locker.apk
ATT_Messages.apk
ATT_myATT.apk
ATT_Navigator.apk
ATT_PromoWidget.apk
ATT_Ready2go.apk
ATT_SmartWifi.apk
ATT_YPmobile.apk
Automotive_Home.apk
Automotive_InternetRadio.apk
Automotive_Traffic.apk
Books.apk
ChromeWithBrowser.apk
com.mobitv.client.tv.apk
DemoFLOPackageInstaller.apk
FDHttpd.apk
Flickr.apk
FlickrEngine.apk
GenieWidget.apk
Gmail2.apk
GMS_Maps.apk
HtcCarGps.apk
HtcNotes.apk
HtcNotesPainterView.apk
HtcNotesProvider.apk
HtcSoundRecorder.apk
HtcSpeakNGF.apk
HTCSyncManager.apk
IMEXT9Arabic.apk
IMEXT9BahasaIndonesia.apk
IMEXT9BahasaMalaysia.apk
IMEXT9Bulgaria.apk
IMEXT9Croatian.apk
IMEXT9Czech.apk
IMEXT9Danish.apk
IMEXT9Dutch.apk
IMEXT9English.apk
IMEXT9Estonian.apk
IMEXT9Finnish.apk
IMEXT9French.apk
IMEXT9German.apk
IMEXT9Greek.apk
IMEXT9Hebrew.apk
IMEXT9Hungarian.apk
IMEXT9Italian.apk
IMEXT9Kazakh.apk
IMEXT9Latvian.apk
IMEXT9Lithuanian.apk
IMEXT9Norwegian.apk
IMEXT9Polish.apk
IMEXT9Portuguese.apk
IMEXT9Romanian.apk
IMEXT9Russian.apk
IMEXT9Serbian.apk
IMEXT9Slovak.apk
IMEXT9Slovenian.apk
IMEXT9Spanish.apk
IMEXT9Swedish.apk
IMEXT9Turkish.apk
IMEXT9Ukrainian.apk
Instagram_SN_Plugin.apk
JETCET_PRINT_Resources.apk
JETCET_PRINT_S50.apk
LinkedIn_Fsplugin.apk
LMIRescue.apk
LMIRescueSecurity.apk
Magazines.apk
MediaUploader.apk
Music2.apk
PDF_Viewer_F_A.apk
Picasa_GLRplugin.apk
PlusOne.apk
PolarisOffice.apk
SoundHound_Freemium.apk
Stock.apk
Street.apk
talkback.apk
TuneIn.apk
Videos.apk
Watch.apk
16088_ATT_Device_Help_M7MR.apk
AndroidHtcSync.apk
ATT_AddressBook_SyncMLClient.apk

Upvote 0
This is what I consider bloatware and want permanently removed:

Amazon Kindle
ATT Address Book
ATT Code Scanner
ATT Family Map
ATT Contacts Sync
ATT Hot Spots
ATT Locker
ATT Messages
ATT Navigator
ATT Smart Wi-Fi
Battery Manager
BlinkFeed RSS
Browser Bar
Car
Chrome
City ID
Cloud Print
Data Manager
Data Roaming Widget
Data Dashboard Widget
DriveMode
Dropbox for HTC Sense
Facebook
Facebook for HTC Sense
Flickr for HTC Sense
FM Radio
FM Radio Widget
FMRadio Service
Games
Gmail
Google Play Books, games, music, newstand, movies and TV
Google search
Google+
Google+ for HTC Sense
Hangouts
HTC Car GPS
HTC News plugin
HTC Share
Instagram for HTC Sense
"Internet" (ATT browser or something).
Jetcet Print
KeyVPN
KeyVPNService
LinkedIn for HTC Sense
Maps
Mobile Data Widget
Mobile Hotspot
Mobile TV
Music
Music Widget
myATT
POLARIS Office 5
Print Spooler
Shoebox Enine
TV
Twitter
Twitter for HTC Sense
Wallet
Watch
YouTube
YP

All this added up to over 645MB, which is about 3/5 of 1GB.

I cannot install a Kernel. I'm permanent recovery. I am not S-OFF and would prefer to remain S-ON. What I want to do is install a ROM (preferably a CM ROM) that will also remove bloatware. I'm under the impression that I should be able to install ROMs S-ON. Does permanent recovery affect whether I can use ROMs or not?

I want Busybox not only for my original purposes, but also because many "root" apps require Busybox. Thus, I cannot use those apps; apps like NinjaMorph, System "app removers," etc. It's amazing Titanium didn't require Busybox, but then again Titanium is kind of useless for permanent app removal. -_-

Upvote 0
Titanium is not useless for bloat removal,it works fine. I run debloated stock roms and use many root requiring apps,all without busybox.

As has been explained to you,while you are s on,you need a custom kernel for any change you make with any app to remain permanent. What prollems do you have with installing a kernel?

Installing a custom rom is an option,as it will contain an insecure kernel. Be aware that cm roms are based on the AOSP,and will be drastically different than stock,leaving you without zoe,boomsound,blinkfeed and other stock features. If you're ok with that,give them a shot. Just make sure to make a backup of your stock rom,and preferably keep a copy of said backup on your pc as well,just in case ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones