1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

International buyers concerns: Is this Atrix 4G locked to U.S AT&T?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CyberPunk7t9, Feb 20, 2011.

1. CyberPunk7t9

CyberPunk7t9 Newbie

Greetings,

I followed the nVidia Tegra2 chip since it was announced and anticipated it's usage in a mobile phone I'd find interesting. Then followed the rumors of the Motorola/Tegra2 android phone when it was just called The Terminator (or T2) and then leaks suggesting it's going to have the name Motorola Olympus 'till it was announced as the Atrix 4G during CES 2011.
    So a lot of anticipation all that long and I really want the phone! :)

My question is if this Atrix 4G shipment from AT&T in a couple of days is locked to their GSM carrier or not?
    I don't mind paying the ebay price (I want it that much). Just want to be sure it's gonna work with our GSM carrier (Saudi Arabia) if I just snap my SIM in it.
    I've been an iphone user for many years and held on to my iphone 3GS even with my wish to jump into the android world but I did not like any device 'till I heard about the Motorola T2 (back then). So I have a very little knowledge of android phones and communities activities at hacking/unlocking GSM in android phones.

Information on the matter from the android crowd is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. weasel

weasel Android Enthusiast

I would bet on it being locked to AT&T. That said, I don't think it will be too long before it will be able to be unlocked, either through AT&T or some other online method.

3. darklide

darklide Android Enthusiast

Of course it will be locked, you will just have to unlock it.

4. CyberPunk7t9

CyberPunk7t9 Newbie

Thank you for the replies. But how the scene of unlocking android phones has been?
    In iphones sometimes it could be a bit of a hassle such as some functions not working properly in the phone after it's been unlocked or waiting too long for devs to provide a a proper unlock..etc.

5. cleanermonkey

cleanermonkey Member

6. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery

If you're getting the AT&T Atrix, you can call them to get the unlock code for $50. Answer Center | AT&T

If the AT&T's frequencies for 2G and 3G matches your carrier's you shouldn't have any issue using the phone. You can search the web for a site that offers to sell you the unlock code for less.

7. CyberPunk7t9

CyberPunk7t9 Newbie

Thank you for this info. That will be my tonight's search-n-read.
    But how this code work? I mean is it enter only once or each time you reboot the device? or what?
    Is it on the hardware level or software level?

Thanks

8. colnago

colnago Android Expert

Its a "one time code", entered when prompted after inserting a new carrier's SIM. It allows use of various SIM cards for any carrier after initial change.