• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

International Calling GV + SIPGATE+ Fring + GV Dial

rockokma

Mar 21, 2010
I have my accounts set up through WiFi, I make a call using Google Voice Dial, calls me back using Fring SIP account going through Sipgate.

Now when I go to China or another country, will this work the same way to call back home?

Will there be any charges? I'm assuming I will pay for google voice international rate maybe?

OR

Will google voice dial not work outside the country usnig this method through Fring and Sipgate?

Hey Clobber, would you mind describing your setup with SIPdroid a bit? I'm getting ready to go overseas for an extended period next week, and i"m trying to set this up myself. A few quick questions:

1. Are you making your calls over Wifi or 3g?
2. Can i just use the official Google Voice app, or are there specific reasons i should use GV Dial?
3. Can you both make AND receive calls on your GV number?
4. Does your GV voicemail work? And if you aren't in 3G/Wifi range, does it automatically route to voicemail?

Upvote 0
Sorry for the delay. I wish I could figure out a good way to track so many threads on so many forums:

1) I can make the calls over either 3G or WiFi. That being said, I live in a location with cheap 3G/HSDPA that gives 4Mbps throughput! No kidding.

2) The specific reason to use GV Dial is that it can initiate a call using your data connection only. That is, when you start the call it will work just like you have used the web page to initiate the call (your phone will ring, then the other end will). Using the Google Voice official app will not do that. It tries to make a normal call to start the call which will cost you - especially from overseas.

3) Yep, make and receive calls from GV number

4) Yes Google Voice voice mail works. The only trick is that you have to tell your SIP provider not to initiate voice mail. Otherwise, call will be answered there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones