1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[International] Confused new owner

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by robinta, Dec 4, 2013.

1. robinta

robinta Well-Known Member

Hi all.

Ive just updated my S2 to an S4 (Three UK) last week and have already updated to 4.3.

With my S2 I rooted at an early stage and used numerous ROMs - on the S4 Ive wanted to hold fire due to the warranty issue but miss the rooted aspect if not just to be able to lose the Samsung bloatware.

Can I root knowing that the worst Ill suffer is a possible loss of warranty ? Im worried about an unusable device more than anything.

Im sorry if this is a repeat question but if I can root safely, even just for recovery and stock ROMs I'll be happy for now.

Thanks

Robin.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

With all the problems that have been appearing in the updates recently? I wouldn't allow the word "root" to be uttered within 5km of an S3 or S4. If Samstung doesn't get their act on straight, a lot of phones are going to be turned in for replacement, because one or another update turned the phone into an expensive watch fob.

3. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Android Expert

I came close recently to losing my phone to a tiny error in upgrading to 4.3. I would say that more than ever you need to ask yourself what you need a rooted phone for. Do you need a circle battery mod ? Do you need to overclock the CPU ? Do you need extensive file management and bloatware removal ...well that one is always the selling point for me but still , it isn't required to really enjoy the S4.

Whatever you choose be sure we will be happy to help here.

4. dramed

dramed Well-Known Member

You might want to take into consideration that you most probably have a KNOX enabled bootloader as you already updated to 4.3 official release. See the related posts on tripping the KNOX flag, which you`ll not be able to reset to 0 (warranty issues ???); so installing custom ROMs might be out of question for you.
    I would suggest that you start by visiting the beautiful and so full of information Rooting Galaxy S4 - Dummies Guide put together by ironass.

5. robinta

robinta Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies.

I've read the guides but still a bit confused. Obviously losing the warranty is a huge decision to take, but if I flashed purely a custom recovery and rooted with no rom would it still trip Knox and more importantly damage the phone irreparably ?

6. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

As per #1.0 of the Rooting Galaxy S4 - Dummies Guide...

Whilst you, "may", not trip the Knox flag with just rooting, a custom recovery certainly will. It will not damage your phone.

dramed likes this.
  7. Riche101

Riche101 Android Enthusiast

Because of Knox, some of those who know about it certainly are more apprehensive when it comes to Rom's now.

I'm just happy playing catch up with guys Ironass hawker and others. I trust my phone with thier knowledge.

8. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

I always take a back seat when new releases come out, just so that I can assess feedback from others (sorry!). This is why I have never flashed the new bootloader, still being on MGA as far as this is concerned.

At the end of the day, its down to how much you value your warranty. I threw my boots at my S2 for over 2 years, and it stood up to absolutely everything. Chances are, my S4 will follow the same path, as its been very good up to now.

Even for those of you who are on the new bootloader, you can still flash whatever you want of course...any rom, root it, any recovery etc. The only drawback is of course, the knox flag will be tripped. As this is (allegedly) a hardware switch, it cannot be reset, or at least, a way resetting it has not yet been discovered. Even if your knox flag is tripped, I'm not even 100% sure such a handset will get refused warranty repair in a Samsung service centre....I've not heard categorically from anyone who has actually experienced this (speak now those of you out there who has had a refusal!) :)

The worrying thing for me is, for those of you who prefer Samsung ROMS to AOSP/Google (I for one am one of those) I have no doubt that more and more apps/system features in the future will get suppressed on old boatloaded devices, forcing people to upgrade. Whether or not apps/system features will behave differently on a knox-tripped device remains to be seen...

9. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert

I rooted my locked bootloader with the De La Vega method and command prompt on a PC that turns a stock unrooted firmware into a rooted, flashable by Odin one. It was a pain, but worked without tripping the Knox flag. However seeing how flashing a custom recovery will trip the Knox flag it was an academic exercise. Tripping the Knox flag does absolutely nothing to the functionality of the phone unless you want to use the Knox app. It may or may not void your warranty, even Samsung aren't clear on it. It is now flashed back to stock unrooted waiting to be sold with it's Knox flag still untripped at 0x0.

I miss the SGSII for ease of rooting too. I haven't even tried to root my Note 3 yet although I am sorely tempted, if only to get rid of the horrible battery icon!

No seriously I want Titanium, root Explorer and over clocking too. A custom ROM holds appeal too, but I'm still enjoying it stock. I guess from now on we make a choice with our devices. Break them and have fun (although breaking them just renders Knox useless and the warranty in an "unsure" state) or keep them stock. A slightly different choice from my SGSII days.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews